cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Sharing permission for Excel used as a back-end

I have a powerapp that's using excel as a backend. The file is stored in OneDrive. When I give specific permission to a user, I believe I have to give them access to both the powerapp as well as the backend data file(s), right? When it comes to the xlsx file, do I have to give the read/write access for them to write data through the app? Or just view is ok?

I'm weary about sharing the xlsx file with them because I don't want them editing the file directly through Excel online. I want them to do everything through the app. But, when I give them share access to the xlsx file doesn't it tell them in an email about the file, location, etc...?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

If your PowerApps app reads/writes data to an Excel file then the user will also need read/write access to the Excel. It is possible for a user to bypass the PowerApps App and edit the file directly in OneDrive since you have to share it file with the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

If your PowerApps app reads/writes data to an Excel file then the user will also need read/write access to the Excel. It is possible for a user to bypass the PowerApps App and edit the file directly in OneDrive since you have to share it file with the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

@Jeff_Thorpe wrote:

Seems like a security flaw that MS needs to fix asap. I suppose there's no need for PowerApps if users can bypass it and edit the file directly! Thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,641)