cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Sharing permission for Excel used as a back-end

I have a powerapp that's using excel as a backend. The file is stored in OneDrive. When I give specific permission to a user, I believe I have to give them access to both the powerapp as well as the backend data file(s), right? When it comes to the xlsx file, do I have to give the read/write access for them to write data through the app? Or just view is ok?

I'm weary about sharing the xlsx file with them because I don't want them editing the file directly through Excel online. I want them to do everything through the app. But, when I give them share access to the xlsx file doesn't it tell them in an email about the file, location, etc...?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Sharing permission for Excel used as a back-end

If your PowerApps app reads/writes data to an Excel file then the user will also need read/write access to the Excel. It is possible for a user to bypass the PowerApps App and edit the file directly in OneDrive since you have to share it file with the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

If your PowerApps app reads/writes data to an Excel file then the user will also need read/write access to the Excel. It is possible for a user to bypass the PowerApps App and edit the file directly in OneDrive since you have to share it file with the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

@Jeff_Thorpe wrote:

Seems like a security flaw that MS needs to fix asap. I suppose there's no need for PowerApps if users can bypass it and edit the file directly! Thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,207)