cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
365-Assist
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

ShortDate format result not what I am expecting

I am looking to format my date as “m/d/yyyy” or "d/m/yyyy". However, I want my app to be used internationally and do not want to hard code the date format. So I thought I would try the ShortDate Format. However it results in a format I do not want. "MMM dd, yyyy".

I argue that this int a Short Date and in fact this is not how Short Date works in Excel.

365Assist_0-1653184636305.png

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can achieve a true short date without hard coding?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User
Super User

@365-Assist 

I agree that what you see is not a 'short date'.

For me, ShortDate returns the format that I would expect.

timl_0-1653251224857.png

I'd be interested to find out why ShortDate produces the format "MMM dd, yyyy" for you. If you try a different browser on the same computer, does your formula still output a value in "MMM dd, yyyy" format? Also, in Windows control panel > Region, is your Short date format set correctly?

timl_1-1653251388120.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@365-Assist 

There are other ways to use Text() to enforce formatting if ShortDate isn't what you want.   For example:

!1.jpg

In all my observations, @Meneghino , knows best about working with dates.  Here is one of his references for international date issues.   https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Best-DATE-format-for-INTERNATIONAL-app-use/t... 

Text(Today(),ShortDate,Language()) will format the date according to the Language of the user's browser. In my case:  !1.jpg

timl
Super User
Super User

@365-Assist 

I agree that what you see is not a 'short date'.

For me, ShortDate returns the format that I would expect.

timl_0-1653251224857.png

I'd be interested to find out why ShortDate produces the format "MMM dd, yyyy" for you. If you try a different browser on the same computer, does your formula still output a value in "MMM dd, yyyy" format? Also, in Windows control panel > Region, is your Short date format set correctly?

timl_1-1653251388120.png

365-Assist
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Bravo @timl . You are correct it is set by the browser language. Australia shortdate format setting seems to be a bug in Power Apps.

365Assist_0-1653261785866.png365Assist_1-1653261806491.png

I tried it in Chrome and Edge with same result.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,853)