cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Should I use Sharepoint groups/Office365 groups for permission control - Which is the best approach

I am using standalone Powerapps with SharePoint as my datasource. I have 2 sharepoint groups Requestor,Approver.

I understand that in order to control permissions with Powerapps (i.e. Requestor can only view the their screens and Approver can only view their screens). I can go ahead with 2 approaches.

1. Use a flow to check permissions with sharepoint groups and based on the flow Boolean value passed to powerapps, iterate it to different screens. If the requestor flow returns true, requestor can see + icon on the top of their screen to add new request.

2. Rather than creating sharepoint groups, just go and provision Office365 groups in AzureAD. Post that use Office365 connectors to iterate between different screens based on requestor/approver.

Which is the best approach among the two ? Any advice would be helpful.

I am having below concerns on approach 1

1. Whether the flow would trigger & run so fast, so that it would return the value and also based on that, ensure the visibility of certain icons on requestor screen.

2. Also, what if the app is used by multiple persons at same time. Will the flow trigger ontime ?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Re: Should I use Sharepoint groups/Office365 groups for permission control - Which is the best approach

@Kumar9024021 in my experience the timings of Flows vary quite a bit. If you are looking for a fast UX then I don't think approach 1 is the way to go. Maybe you could use your flow to create SP List items and pull those lists into your app as collections to be used for 'permissions' in the app?

ie

If Name1 is in collection1 then show -- this -- else show -- that --

Hope this makes sense and I'm happy to help if you need it to set this up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,454)