Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Racheli
Helper V
Helper V

Show fractions in inches dropdown

Hey there,

I have in my app an input for the whole numbers and a dropdown for the fractions of the inches.

Side to that, I have a label that show the max and min.

1. I want the inches to shown as fractions.

2. If I write 4 3/8 it will recognized it as 4+3/8, as for now it is not.

thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Racheli 
The key here is to ensure the fractions are stored as text instead instead of numbers.

Suppose you have a Text Input that will receive the inches value and is initially blank.  Put this code in the Format property of the dropdown to ensure only numbers can be input.

Format.Number

Then your fractions dropdown has these values in the Items property

["1/4","3/8","1/2","5/8","3/4","7/8"]

Finally, put this code in the Text property of the label to display the fractional number

TextInput_Inches.Text&"-"&Dropdown_Fraction.Selected.Value

Now the number will display like this

4-3/8

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

@Racheli 
Click on the dropdown for fractions.  Then, look up at the formula bar in PowerApps Studio.  You can change the current property to the left of the formula bar.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

4 REPLIES 4
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Racheli 
The key here is to ensure the fractions are stored as text instead instead of numbers.

Suppose you have a Text Input that will receive the inches value and is initially blank.  Put this code in the Format property of the dropdown to ensure only numbers can be input.

Format.Number

Then your fractions dropdown has these values in the Items property

["1/4","3/8","1/2","5/8","3/4","7/8"]

Finally, put this code in the Text property of the label to display the fractional number

TextInput_Inches.Text&"-"&Dropdown_Fraction.Selected.Value

Now the number will display like this

4-3/8

---

Any chance for PrtScn for each step you wrote?

Couldn't find the "items"?

Thanks

@Racheli 
Click on the dropdown for fractions.  Then, look up at the formula bar in PowerApps Studio.  You can change the current property to the left of the formula bar.

---

@ mdevaney thanks for sharing

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,004)