cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewM114DD

ShowColumns used with a sharepoint list only recognizes internal column names

I have found that ShowColumns in PowerApps only recognizes internal column names. I wonder if there is a resolution that doesn't require me to use internal column names. Perhaps an experimental feature I need to turn off?

The screenshot below is an example. "CapaNumber" is the display name of the column name, "evmn" is the internal name that I had to find using the instructions in this link (Find the internal name of SharePoint column — HelpDesk for Office 365, MS Teams, and SharePoint 1.x ...). 

It seems pretty unsustainable to have to look up the internal name of a SharePoint column every time I want to use this ShowColumns function. Is there a better resolution to this?

AndrewM114DD_0-1621004012347.png

2 REPLIES 2
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AndrewM114DD 

Unfortunately, ShowColumns, SortByColumns and a couple other functions still require the real field name to be used.

The inclusion of using the defined name over the real name is only within the past 2 years.  Before that you always had to use the real name for everything. 

There used to be a feature to turn on and off to allow formulas to use defined names, but that feature was eventually just turned on by default and disappeared.  However...that feature still only applied to the functions that supported it (Filter, Distinct, Choices, etc.)  The ones mentioned above did not honor that setting even back then...and they still don't.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AndrewM114DD 

How did this work out for you? Were you able to utilize the suggestions? If you're still having problems, feel free to post back. If not, then please review the answers to your post and mark one as a solution so that others who might be looking for similar solutions can find them quickly. Thanks!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,624)