cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmurfree
Frequent Visitor

Simple Attendance App - Date Picker

Never done anything like this before, very new to PowerApps, but my organization (an afterschool program) has been struggling with attendance logistics for years. A simple App would solve this. Here is what I am attempting to do: I want an app that allows teachers to take attendance for a given class in as few clicks as possible.  

I think I have figured out how to do that with the actual taking of attendance, but the problem I have is writing the date to the data source.  In most cases, today's date should just get written to the data source. But regularly, teachers forget to take attendance and have to go back to previous days to log the attendance from memory.  

What would you suggest as the best way (fastest/least amount of clicks) to set the date.  Currently, when a particular class is chosen the students in that class appear in a gallery.  In the gallery there is a check box that allows the teachers to indicate which of each student is present or absent.  I plan to have it set up to do something like, 'On Check' patch in attended.  

But how do I handle the date? Again, most days it would just be today's date, but other times, the teacher might need to choose a previous date and retroactively take attendance.  I don't want them to have to choose a date for each individual student in the gallery, ideally I'd like them to choose a date and use that for all of the students on that day.  

Any ideats would be greatly appreciated.  I figure it shouldn't be that difficulut, but like I said, I've never made anything with PowerApps before so I am trying to teach myself here.  Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OnSelect of datepicker store its selected value in a variable.

OnCheck of your checkbox in Gallery write your patch function with variable. Something like Patch(DataSource, LookUp(DataSource, ID=selectedID),{date:varSelectedDate})

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Moreshwar
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

You can keep datepicker outside the gallery may be at the top and the date selected in that Datepicker can be used to patch selected gallery items.

Really? That would be perfect, but what I am struggling to understand is two-fold:

• What is the function that would call the selected date from the date picker?
  • What is the trigger to call that function. Meaning with what action taken by the user do I trigger the above function to call and ultimately patch in the chosen date?

Thank you!! 

OnSelect of datepicker store its selected value in a variable.

OnCheck of your checkbox in Gallery write your patch function with variable. Something like Patch(DataSource, LookUp(DataSource, ID=selectedID),{date:varSelectedDate})

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,505)