cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Size limitation when saving to Google Sheets

Hello

I am creating a survey app, where every month  500 people will answer 3 questions.

Later I am reporting the answers on Power BI.

When saving my data I found the following limitation: PowerApps not allowing files bigger than 2 MB on OneDrive or Google drive.
The empty excel file I am planning to use to save the data to is already 3 MB, the reason being I have created 3 tables inside with 99.999 empty rows on them. I did this so PowerApps can "see" the tables inside the excel file. I can delete rows and make the excel file smaller.

Here are my question: 

- do I need to make the tables the final size? or I can make them only 5 rows for PowerApps see them and will grow ok?
- is there any limitation on size of the excel file? I mean am I risking that at some point PowerApps won't save my data anymore because the file is bigger than 2 MB?

-Any suggestion on this scenario?

Thanks!

M.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Size limitation when saving to Google Sheets

Hi @milincheta 

In answer to your questions...

1. No, you don't need to make your tables the final size. If your Excel table contains 5 rows only and you attempt to add an additional record through your app, PowerApps will insert row 6 into your Excel table automatically.
  2. As you've seen, there is a 2MB file size limit. If your file exceeds 2MB and you attempt to add more rows through your app, the operation will fail. In your scenario, you can store your 3 tables over 3 separate Excel files to reduce the chance of this happening.

Note that due to the lack of query delegation support with Excel, you will not be able to work with more than 2000 records per table. Therefore if you need to store larger quantities of data, I would recommend a different data source, such as SharePoint or SQL Server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @milincheta 

In answer to your questions...

1. No, you don't need to make your tables the final size. If your Excel table contains 5 rows only and you attempt to add an additional record through your app, PowerApps will insert row 6 into your Excel table automatically.
  2. As you've seen, there is a 2MB file size limit. If your file exceeds 2MB and you attempt to add more rows through your app, the operation will fail. In your scenario, you can store your 3 tables over 3 separate Excel files to reduce the chance of this happening.

Note that due to the lack of query delegation support with Excel, you will not be able to work with more than 2000 records per table. Therefore if you need to store larger quantities of data, I would recommend a different data source, such as SharePoint or SQL Server.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @timl for you clarifications! you save me some trouble.

I would love to know who is the genious that guessed, in the 21 century, that a 2 mb limit is something reasonable.

M.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,862)