Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwbyrtie
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Slow performance in Power Apps Studio when building large apps

TRYING TO RAISE SOME ATTENTION FROM MICROSOFT HERE

... so please add a comment, if you face a similar issue.

Let's rally and make some noise!

ISSUE

When building large apps, Power Apps Studio (i.e. the editor) becomes insanely sluggish when the number of screens/controls increases. 

I am currently building an canvas application with more than 100 screens, which works perfect in player-mode - but my ability to proceed with the development is heavily impeded poor performance in the editor (Power Apps Studio).

EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE ISSUES

• Loading the app in the editor takes 15-20 minutes (and is interrupted by an authentication prompt).
  • When an object is selected, it takes 4-5 seconds before the formula bar is adjusted to the correct code.
  • When a formula is entered, at it takes 10-30 seconds before an intellisense-suggestion appears.
  • Inserting object takes 5-10 seconds (a loading screen appears).
  • Opening "Preview mode" takes 2-5 minutes.

MICROSOFT

To any Microsoft support staff reading this - you have a problem, which cuts off developers ability to build some serious apps, that actually can be used for more than just handle a simple process. Please fix this.

Many before me have raised this issue - here's 15 examples from a "Power Apps Studio Slow"-google search, where I only looked at the first 3 pages:

I have even raised a ticket to your support staff... to which the response was - "Try to delete some of your screens".

... c'mon - get in the game, please!

15 REPLIES 15
markfleet
Advocate II
Advocate II

A possible solution would be the ability to suspend the App Checking (much like you can turn off automatic formula recalculation in large Excel sheets) - think I have previously seen that posted as an Idea.

I too suffer the speed issues described by the OP - I have only 7 screens but quite a few instances of the same small components on each screen. I agree with the above that suspending the app checking would make a huge difference to the editing experience.

I found the idea posted here so anyone who experiences the same, please vote:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Disable-check-for-errors/idi-p/45075

mwbyrtie
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@DennisTKuhn: You know nothing about the app that is being built - yet your first response is that I am not following the basic principles? 

Point is still - everything works fine during run-time, but is horrible slow in the editor experience. You can't expect developers to unbundle all processes into mini-apps, with the intend of improving the "Developer experience" over  "User experience".

Sakura
Helper II
Helper II

I have the same issue and only have an app with 5 screens. I do have complex code in some controls where tables need to be filtered and transformed. When I want to add a new line to the code I often have to wait a full minute before any characters appear. It has come to the point where I am just writing it in Sublime Text and then copy-paste the code into the control. Then have to wait another 3 minutes before the app has actually taking note of the updated control.

But it gets worse. I would select a control and add the changes to the visible field, but in fact the app still has a different control selected. It would then add my changes to the wrong control! I have to then go figure out why my app is suddenly completely broken.

Imagine this happening in a JavaScript or Python editor. You'd just walk away from that because it is not doable and results in unacceptable time loss and missing deadlines.

I understand why there are limits to control drawing, but if the answer will always be 'delete some screens from 5 to 3, or make your controls more simple', then I think we can agree Power Apps is really just the userform from Excel but beautified and accessible in the cloud.  That has its merit too, but Power Apps would then not (yet) be suitable for serious app development for truly complex or critical business processes.

Enginerd

I have the same issue.  I have one app, with one table, one screen, five columns, no data yet populated, and no biz logic built yet.  I started this a few days ago.  Came back to pick up where I left off and I cannot get anything to load.   I switched off of using lists and power automate to build a power app and I have a powerless app.  This is literally just an app to track training completion of a group of under 100 users.  I am better off with a list at this point.

FarrellDrafting
Helper II
Helper II

Its not even a question of complex apps, I've got a 4 Screen app, 2 of those screens with one control to back out showing static data, takes about 10 minutes to open, and god help me if i try adding a field to the input form or adjust code. I've taken to creating and editing forms/controls in a fresh empty app and then copying it into my existing one.

nikried
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am very glad about this thread and would really like to push it.

I am working on an App with about 10 screens and a lot of fancy components, where the most complex component is a data table which is able to be sorted, filtered and can do a lot of other fancy stuff. This is the way you build more sustainable apps in the PowerApps environment, otherwise there is code duplication over and over and over and over again.

BUT THIS WHOLE POWERAPPS DEVELOPMENT PROCESS IS REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES.

To begin with, the studio gets slower the more components/screens are in the app, as the OP pointed out.

Also, the whole PowerApps development is like "Debugging? Is that a word? Can you eat that?". When there is an error, you often have to comment out code in many other places (which can take several minutes per comment until the studio catches up with the changes).

I think you can do waaaay better than that, Microsoft. You have to. How about a development environment where you can actually develop apps that are more complex than your average "Sharepoint List App"?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,465)