Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwbyrtie
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Slow performance in Power Apps Studio when building large apps

TRYING TO RAISE SOME ATTENTION FROM MICROSOFT HERE

... so please add a comment, if you face a similar issue.

Let's rally and make some noise!

ISSUE

When building large apps, Power Apps Studio (i.e. the editor) becomes insanely sluggish when the number of screens/controls increases. 

I am currently building an canvas application with more than 100 screens, which works perfect in player-mode - but my ability to proceed with the development is heavily impeded poor performance in the editor (Power Apps Studio).

EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE ISSUES

• Loading the app in the editor takes 15-20 minutes (and is interrupted by an authentication prompt).
  • When an object is selected, it takes 4-5 seconds before the formula bar is adjusted to the correct code.
  • When a formula is entered, at it takes 10-30 seconds before an intellisense-suggestion appears.
  • Inserting object takes 5-10 seconds (a loading screen appears).
  • Opening "Preview mode" takes 2-5 minutes.

MICROSOFT

To any Microsoft support staff reading this - you have a problem, which cuts off developers ability to build some serious apps, that actually can be used for more than just handle a simple process. Please fix this.

Many before me have raised this issue - here's 15 examples from a "Power Apps Studio Slow"-google search, where I only looked at the first 3 pages:

I have even raised a ticket to your support staff... to which the response was - "Try to delete some of your screens".

... c'mon - get in the game, please!

34 REPLIES 34
CB_Tech
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, PaulD1. I really appreciate the feedback and I will keep these things in mind.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Encountering the same issue on a 3-screen app with one of those screens with 650 controls. It really isn't that complicated. It's about 50 fields built for a desktop experience and I just spent 3 hours trying to reposition 5 controls because everything takes 5 minutes to move and on some occasions doesn't even move where it should and each time I have to wait on "Please Wait".

Jacambareri
Frequent Visitor

totally agree with this post.!! i have the same issues. my application follow all best practices regarding performance, etc, but is a fact that the problem is because the amount of controls or pages in my app.
the main point is the application run perfect when is published, so, i think microsoft should delivery a better tool to develop this low code. (desktop app or a more robust app web editor)

james_hathaway
Advocate V
Advocate V

Yep - I'm having slow issues too - regardless of the size of the App!

Very simple App - 1 screen, about 300 controls (VERY hard to keep under that limit...)

Wanted to change a true to a false, took about 30 seconds of waiting, and when I double checked - it hadn't even changed the value, and left it as it was!

I think it's something to do with "AutoSave", as we get the same issue in a Word Document (random freezes for a couple of seconds where it ignores your typing - a real nightmare fore somebody that types with more than a single finger)

Come on Microsoft - you're slowly making all your applications unusable, and in some instances, forcing customers to move to your competitors...

DCR_FRODRIGUEZ
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey anybody have a resolution to this? State agency here and we were humming a long quite nicely building a portfolio of business improving apps and as of a week ago, intellisense is terribly slow in recognizing basic functions in small apps.  Its a huge drag on our development process.

For simple formulas or text entries with no calculation the lag is about 20 to 30 seconds, for more complicated formulas it can be over a minute. To further add to the issue sometimes when a basic formula or control to reference is entered the lag causes portions of the entered text to be removed when it finally does catch up changing it to something that doesn’t work (i.e., ‘Parent.Width’ might become ‘Pnt.W’). Sometimes the lag can be so long that I receive a browser time-out error thankfully so far I have been able to select the wait option so as not to loose my recent work by leaving, but it is concerning.(2) PA Studio Basic Formula Lag.jpg(1) PA Studio Text Box Population Lag_No Formula.jpg

orionone

Same here, major production flaw. It’s not sustainable to develop under these conditions. Basic property changes take a long time to register, often times getting a ‘not responding’ dialogue with the option to ‘wait’. This issue needs to be pushed up. 

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I concur that the App Checker is insanely slow! The editor takes ages to load!

Granted, the zipped export of my app is 16.5MB in size and I have eight screens and well over 500 controls, lol. Six of those eight screens give a "Too many controls on one screen" performance warning, and one of them has over 1000 controls, lmao I know, I know...

But look: Despite having apparently around 3,000 controls, the app works amazingly well on iPhone via iOS Power Apps app and desktop via Edge browser. No sluggishness at all in the user experience. The only issue I see consistently is that the PDF viewer crashes the iOS Power Apps app. I think I can fix that by loading one document at a time instead of retrieving several related documents to display as the user selects them. I will instead display buttons to select each document and the document won't be retrieved until the user selects it, and selecting a new document will clear out the old one.

@james_hathaway mentioned AutoSave, and I also posted about how the "AutoSave Every 2 minutes" setting seems to increase sluggish performance here. Making any edits at all to my canvas app in the editor seems to, at times, instantly AutoSave no matter what. The smallest changes can lag out the editor and cause the last AutoSave time to update, even if making updates within seconds of the last update or save.

Disabling AutoSave seems to have helped a bit, but I suspect that disabling "App Checking" would give the largest performance boost (aside from cutting down the app to much less useful version with fewer screens and fewer controls per screen). However, that feature is one that I use heavily. Much better to catch errors on the fly as opposed to at "compile time", whatever that means w.r.t. Power Apps. The App Checker seems to get hung up and insists that there are errors when there are not, and only after a long period of time will it finally resolve.

If I disable the App Checker, one little typo in syntax might totally screw up everything by the time I finish editing a large block of code. Maybe I should just "git gud"? There really ought to be a desktop editor for Power Apps. My machine could handle the performance requirements, I'm quite sure. I run two Hyper-V W10 pro VMs with 16GB of RAM each and still have 32GB of RAM left to spare. I'm insanely bad about keeping too many Edge tabs open (because I'll lose context on everything if I only open things I'm currently using. "Out of sight, out of mind").

Oh crap, I just went through the "Upcoming Features" section of canvas app settings, and I see no way to disable the App Checker. I thought there was a way to make the editor stop pre-calculating errors with every keystroke, but now I'm not sure which setting it would be... Very frustrating. There should be a way to manually run the App Checker when the user is ready!

The Microsoft Power Apps team needs to acknowledge that canvas apps are being used to build complex and sprawling applications which can't possibly confirm to the 500-controls aspect of the recommended best practices.

If I wasn't doing a pretty decent job of following most of the best practices, my 3,000-control app would neither work in "Play mode" nor in the editor. It would be unusable. But it works great, and until fairly recently, the editor wasn't all that bad. The footprint of my app —both in terms of exported size of .zip file and in terms of number or controls and data connections— has not changed substantially from when the editor used to be much snappier for me. In fact, I've reached a point where development has very nearly slowed to a standstill. The rate I'm editing the app is now at a crawl (because I'm busy and also because I have fewer things now to fix or add on to), and yet seemingly within the last few months the editor has become nearly unusable.

Don't blame me for making a big app! I blame Microsoft for a poorly optimized editor which is only available in browser! Make a desktop editor!

Edit: I should clarify that the exported 16.5MB .zip file is for the entire solution, including all cloud flows, connectors, and custom connectors. And now that I think about it, there is a duplicate version of this app in there which I use to test edits which might break things. So, the actual size of the app is substantially less than that. If I push an update to the app (meaning the app is no longer loading from cache), it loads on iOS over cell network within like 15 seconds. It loads on desktop over wifi in roughly 7 seconds. Every screen is fully usable and snappy within 7 seconds. Performance is only an issue with the bleeping editor!

seschu01_2

TL/DR

Same thing different day.
Does anyone know if MS has said anything about this?

I complained about this three months ago, but shortly after that it got a whole lot better!

About the end of October or beginning of November, I believe Microsoft updated the PowerApps editor interface and that update significantly reduced the lagginess I was experiencing in my large canvas app. Without changing anything in my app, the editor performance increased tenfold or a hundredfold overnight.

Specifically, this was the update that, among other things, refreshed the UI for the "Save" button and the "Publish" button. Whereas before you had to open a menu to save or publish a canvas app, the new update puts them in the top right of the editor interface, accessible at all times.

Well, they must have also done something to improve performance in that update, because for me the difference is like night and day!

pp_dev
Helper II
Helper II

The entire platform is third-class 🤢and useless. It's a total waste of time to work on it.😠

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd. at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3rd, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!       Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪🌠

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!    Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,862)