cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slow refresh on dropdownlist populated with Excel data source

I'm currently building app that has 2 dropdown list, both connected to the same excel data source. The goal is having them be refreshed OnSelect with the updated entries in the excel sheet. Both of them also filter on another column in that same table. Problem is, it takes around 1-2 minutes before the dropdownlists get updated with the new data. I read in another post that having the sheet open can cause a similar problem but that doesnt seem to be my case. 

Any idea on a workaround/solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@samooo,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, do you want the updates to be fed back to the data source in a timely manner?

Could you please tell that if the records in your excel table exceed 2000?

Generally, if you have a huge data set, PowerApps may have slow performance.

Also, Excel on OneDrive have a poor performance when updating from PowerApps is an known issue.

If you add large codes within your app, it would consume large CPU resources, memory, and network bandwidth, so your app would execute slowly.

Actually, there are many reasons that an app can be slow to load, slow to respond, and slow to write to data sources. The common reasons as below:

1. A large number of controls added within your app
  2. Shaping expressions (i.e. Filter or Search) that contain clauses that require frequent server calls
  3. Shaping expressions that are not delegated
  4. Use of inherently slow data sources such as Excel on OneDrive

If you want to check the updates from the Excel table, yes, it spends much more time to get the updates.

However, if you could accept it in PowerApps which means that check the updates directly in a Gallery of DataTable, the performance will be better.

Add a Gallery and set the Items as your Excel table name.

As an alternative solution,  you could also change your data source if the workload is not too heavy. SharePoint list or on-premise SQL Server and the data gateway.

Hope it could help.

Regards,

Qi

Best Regards,
Qi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You could make it faster if you used collections for the Items of the dropdowns. You have not provided enough detail about the structure of your table and how you determine the items for your dropdown controls for me to propose a more specific solution. 

v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@samooo,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, do you want the updates to be fed back to the data source in a timely manner?

Could you please tell that if the records in your excel table exceed 2000?

Generally, if you have a huge data set, PowerApps may have slow performance.

Also, Excel on OneDrive have a poor performance when updating from PowerApps is an known issue.

If you add large codes within your app, it would consume large CPU resources, memory, and network bandwidth, so your app would execute slowly.

Actually, there are many reasons that an app can be slow to load, slow to respond, and slow to write to data sources. The common reasons as below:

1. A large number of controls added within your app
  2. Shaping expressions (i.e. Filter or Search) that contain clauses that require frequent server calls
  3. Shaping expressions that are not delegated
  4. Use of inherently slow data sources such as Excel on OneDrive

If you want to check the updates from the Excel table, yes, it spends much more time to get the updates.

However, if you could accept it in PowerApps which means that check the updates directly in a Gallery of DataTable, the performance will be better.

Add a Gallery and set the Items as your Excel table name.

As an alternative solution,  you could also change your data source if the workload is not too heavy. SharePoint list or on-premise SQL Server and the data gateway.

Hope it could help.

Regards,

Qi

Best Regards,
Qi

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

My table only has 10 rows and 7 columns, no more are supposed to be added. I'm filtering my items in the ddl based on a "yes" "no" value. I also need my excel to be accessible outside of the app because an employee is allowed to modify the data in it directly. Which is why I figured I cant have my table directly inside my app. But thank you for your help though! I'm sorry I couldnt provide the right details right away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end, I switched to a sharepoint list and refreshes were much better

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,611)