cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
js-dattics
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solutions - How to protect our development?

Hi, we're currently working on a solution for one of our customer.

It's a Canvas App and a Flow to get some data they need. However, we haven't been able to protect our know-how. We exported the solution as a managed solution, but once imported the customer can access every component and check and recreate the Flow by themselves if they wanted to.

Is there any way to protect this information?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @js-dattics ,

Unless you have a user name in their tenant that they do not know the password to, then no - anyone who has shared ownership of a Flow or Power Apps (or even edit rights to an App) can see the structure. Power Apps / Power Automate are not a standard-alone “compiled” executable programs - at least one user in the environment has to “own” them.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @js-dattics 

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to provide this type of protection in Canvas apps or in Flows.

I do understand the importance of protecting intellectual property, especially in cases where we want to resell apps. The implication of a managed solution is that it should offer this protection but in this case sadly, it doesn't.

There is a post on the ideas forum about this exact issue and I would recommend that you vote for it.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Managed-solutions-should-not-allow-editing-to-c...

There is also talk here about how there are improvements in the backlog, particularly in terms of protecting apps that we publish through appsource.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Importing-Managed-Solutions-with-Connections/id...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (3,962)