cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnbradbury
Helper I
Helper I

Solutions and ALM

I'm not sure I understand what the process is meant to be here.

• Should I be developing all my tables, components, flows into a single Solution, which is then pushed as a single manged solution into >> UAT >> PROD?
  • Should I be developing separate Solutions as for patch or update versions (each containing tables, components, and flows), which are then pushed as a managed solutions into >> UAT >> PROD?
  • Should I be developing separate Solutions for tables, components and flows, which are then pushed as managed solutions into >> UAT >> PROD?
  • Should I even be maintaining Solutions in PROD, or pushing them into the root?

All new to me.

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHarper
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @johnbradbury 

There are different ways you can do this but the most straightforward is your first option.  Put everything in a single solution and export/import to another environement.  This is certainly the most preferable for non-production environments and the best way to become familiar with the process

Be aware thought that this will overwrite all existing tables/records so a different approach is required when updating an app in production

CNT
Super User
Super User

@johnbradbury @ChrisHarper 

Keep all the Tables, Apps, Flows in a single Solution, and then export it as a single manged solution and then import it unto into >> UAT >> PROD

If tables have been changed, it will update only the table definitions. It will not affect the data in the target environment.

I hadn't actually considered that my row data would be blanked. How do you avoid that?

I've been reading and this seems to be a sensible approach (forgive my crude Visio). But again that won't account for data in the Production environment.

AIM.PNG

@johnbradbury Data will not be blanked. They will remain intact. Only the definitions will be updated (if there has been a change)

ChrisHarper
Helper II
Helper II

Yes a mental block on my part.  Sorry for the confusion!

johnbradbury
Helper I
Helper I

This article talks about the 'base layer' as a solution. What exactly is the 'base layer', what's in there? 

Organize your solutions (Microsoft Dataverse) - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,044)