cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DocWHCI
Frequent Visitor

Solutions and PowerApps for Office365 Licensing

I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong forum, it was a toss up between this one and CDS.

Our company has the regular PowerApps for Office 365 licenses with only our developers having Plan 2. So my question is, can our developers utilize Solutions for Canvas apps without needing per app/per user(P2) licenses for the sole purpose of source control and CI/CD pipelines? So without utilizing entities or the common data service connector in the app.

Or does utilizing solutions require PA/PU licenses no matter what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I disagree.  Yes, Solutions requires that a CDS database be in the environment.  But the existence of a CDS database does not automatically mean that everyone in that environment needs a Per User or Per App license. There are standard actions that also require a CDS database, for example Approvals.  Although Approvals uses the CDS database for back end storage it does not require premium licensing.  The use of solution packaging is similar. A standard Office 365 user can create a solution package and add an app to it without ever being prompted for premium licensing.  Not everything that uses CDS requires premium licensing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Putting a Power App that uses no premium features inside a solution should not require premium licensing.

EduCon Chicago 2022

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DocWHCI ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to use Solutions in your PowerApps without the PowerApps Plan 2 license (Per user Plan)?

Further, do you want to access Solutions using Office 365 license?

If you want to access Solutions functionality using Office 365 license, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

The Solution functionality is embedded within Common Data Service in PowerApps. If you want to access Solution functionality, you must have enough permission to access CDS. Currently, if you want to access CDS, you must own PowerApps Plan 1 license (old license) or per app/per user license (new license) at least.

The Solution functionality is not supported in Office 365 license. Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/solutions-overview

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xida-msft ,

Thank you for your reply, we have 3 developers that have Plan 2's right now. Everyone else in the organization has the office 365 license.

The developers have access to Solutions as far as creating them but what I'm looking for clarification on is if we build a standard canvas app(no premium connectors or cds connector) inside a solution will it require the end users to also have Plan 1's or Plan 2's in order for them to use the app?

Hi @DocWHCI ,

Yeah, you are right. If your end users want to access Solution in their PowerApps, they must have installed CDS database within their PowerApps Environment already.

Currently, if you want to access CDS feature in PowerApps, you must own PowerApps Plan 1 license at least. The CDS feature is not available in Office 365 for PowerApps license.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I disagree.  Yes, Solutions requires that a CDS database be in the environment.  But the existence of a CDS database does not automatically mean that everyone in that environment needs a Per User or Per App license. There are standard actions that also require a CDS database, for example Approvals.  Although Approvals uses the CDS database for back end storage it does not require premium licensing.  The use of solution packaging is similar. A standard Office 365 user can create a solution package and add an app to it without ever being prompted for premium licensing.  Not everything that uses CDS requires premium licensing.

EduCon Chicago 2022

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (2,985)