cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvandelinde

Sort, Filter and Grouping in a gallery

Hi Everyone, I'm fairly new to PowerApps and hoping you can help...

Right now I have a gallery(below) where I am showing the logged in user their tasks that are ready to be worked on. These tasks can be associated with multiple projects, and will not always be "created" at the same time so I can't rely on that to keep tasks from the same project together. I would like to add a GroupBy to this but can't figure out the details. 

Some more information: This is backed by Sharepoint lists. Most of the columns are coming right out of my CommsProjectTasks list, but the Project name in the first column is coming from a list called CommsFormData. LookUp(CommsFormData, ID=ThisItem.CommsProjectID, Title)

mvandelinde_0-1621517171326.png

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@mvandelinde 

Yes, so I don't believe you want to go down the road of GroupBy in this case as that really is about data shaping.  It seems your answer would be to simply sort by the project name and then perhaps by something else perhaps secondary - like a date.

That would give you a gallery with all the project names together and (if a secondary sort by date) perhaps by date.

Does this seem more reasonable? 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@mvandelinde 

Are you really sure that GroupBy is what you want?  Or, are you trying to simply group the Project names "together" in the gallery?

In other words, looking at your picture - how is it that you want it to look differently?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

@RandyHayes 

Ahh, that was a bad example, here is an example that is showing my problem. Because tasks can be added ad hoc there is a potential for tasks to show up out of order. In the example below you can see that I have tasks from project "Test Three" separated on the gallery. Thank you.

mvandelinde_0-1621525660680.png

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@mvandelinde 

Yes, so I don't believe you want to go down the road of GroupBy in this case as that really is about data shaping.  It seems your answer would be to simply sort by the project name and then perhaps by something else perhaps secondary - like a date.

That would give you a gallery with all the project names together and (if a secondary sort by date) perhaps by date.

Does this seem more reasonable? 

View solution in original post

mvandelinde

@RandyHayes 

This makes so much sense! Thank you!

(I seem to have a habit of making things harder than they have to be.)

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@mvandelinde 

No problem!

Rule #1 in PowerApps - Keep it Super Simple!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza Winner Announcement

Please join us on Wednesday, July 21st at 8a PDT. We will be announcing the Winners of the Demo Extravaganza!

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,172)