Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: SortByColumns and using variable sort columns and delegation

Hi, 

I'm not sure why your original formula didn't work to be honest - I'm the same as @rebeccas in that I usually just use a variable and it works?

This was a workaround to get it to work in your case where variable was not being detected correctly - I would give @rebeccas 's video a watch to see if you can use the same method within your App, otherwise use the method we've covered here for sorting the logic out beforehand.

Thanks

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, thanks!  I have tried Rebeccas methode, with a variable for the column that are going to be sorted, but i get the delegation problem/warning (and i have > 2000 items in the list/table).  Im looking for a methode to use avariables, without getting the delegation problem.  

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I think using conditions looking at the variable with as many else steps as you need for all the columns to sort on is going to be the only option to avoid delegation. That said, I don't see why you need a variable for each column as that's just extra work. Just make your condition "If(varSort = "ColumnName", SortByColumns(..." where your specifying that column name in each condition.

I'm having the same issue and going to give that a try. My formula is very complex already so I really don't want to have to go this route but variables and label values are not working - I tried where a label's text property is the variable and then referenced the label.text in the formula but received the same delegation warning. 

BTW - Rebecca's video shows she has a delegation warning as well (see attached).

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I find apps run slow with trying to show that much data so I typically try to limit mine with different filtering options and other ways so delegation warnings are not typically a concern of mine. They aren't anything to be concerned with if you have less than 500 items. I have one or two that I need to show more data in which case I don't use Filter and use the search instead to avoid that. You just have to be careful to know when those are something that matter (as in will have any effect on your data/app) or not.

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Yes, I'm seeing an obvious performance change when adding in the conditions to sort for 2 of my 8 gallery columns when the SharePoint list has 1400 or so rows. In my case I have a gallery that is using a collection as the datasource if the status of the item is not Completed or Cancelled (where there will never be more than 500) and using the SP list directly for the Completed/Cancelled items. I had to change this due to app row limits pulling all items into the collection with using the Search function (which is not delegable with SharePoint as the datasource). I think you stated this backwards, @rebeccas with Filter being delegable for SharePoint, but not Search. ...or maybe you were referring to use a search box with a StartsWith type of filter.

Anyway, I have even changed the design so that items from the active SP list get sent to a separate "archive" SP list once the status is Completed/Cancelled to improve performance and more logically separate the two types of filtering I'm doing. The active items have a search box that can use multiple terms with a delimiter that is a fantastic experience for the user, but uses functions that require a collection to be used to avoid delegation issues. When viewing the archived data I have combobox filter options for the columns, which is more clicks and more traditional than using the multi-term search box but works just fine. Trying to add in conditions for sorting the columns turns out to be more of a pain than I thought given neither a variable or label value can be used as the reference for sorting without delegation. I can create the condition before the filter of the datasource, but not only does this create performance issues but it requires double the formula just to have options to sort on 2 columns. Thus, if I add the option for all 8 columns my formula is going to be extremely lengthy and I haven't even added the option to filter in "my stuff" on this archive view. My screenshot shows my formula now for the gallery.items with just 2 columns having sorting active for the completed/cancelled view (highlighted) with the remainder of the formula for the active view. 

I was trying to avoid having multiple galleries or screens to view each datasource so there wouldn't be redundencies that I'd need to update twice if updates were needed to the core gallery elements, but now I'm thinking I may need to go that route so performance isn't so slow and so my formulas aren't so lengthy. I am spending more time on getting this right the first time as this will be the model for many other apps we create that have a similar data structure where completed/cancelled status items are just going to keep growing.

*Edit*

The attachments don't show for me so I don't know if they show for others, so here's the formula in text to get an idea of how long it would be if I used this route for sorting options on all 8 columns. What is highlighted in the screen shot is italicized below:

If(gvStatus="Complete"||gvStatus="Cancelled",If(gvSortPriority="CIType_Txt",SortByColumns(Filter('Dev - CI Projects','CI Status'.Value=gvStatus&&StartsWith(Title,LblTitleFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(CIType_Txt,LblTypeFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Responsible_Txt,LblResponsibleFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Location_Txt,LblLocationFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Area,LblAreaFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Waste_Txt,LblWasteFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Priority_Txt,LblPriorityFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(DMAIC_Txt,LblDMAICFilter1.Text)),"CIType_Txt",If(gvSortDescending,Ascending,Descending),"Priority_Txt",Ascending,"Benefit",Descending,"PlanCompletion",Ascending),

If(gvSortPriority="Title",SortByColumns(Filter('Dev - CI Projects','CI Status'.Value=gvStatus&&StartsWith(Title,LblTitleFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(CIType_Txt,LblTypeFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Responsible_Txt,LblResponsibleFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Location_Txt,LblLocationFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Area,LblAreaFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Waste_Txt,LblWasteFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Priority_Txt,LblPriorityFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(DMAIC_Txt,LblDMAICFilter1.Text)),"Title",If(gvSortDescending,Ascending,Descending),"Priority_Txt",Ascending,"Benefit",Descending,"PlanCompletion",Ascending),SortByColumns(Filter('Dev - CI Projects','CI Status'.Value=gvStatus&&StartsWith(Title,LblTitleFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(CIType_Txt,LblTypeFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Responsible_Txt,LblResponsibleFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Location_Txt,LblLocationFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Area,LblAreaFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Waste_Txt,LblWasteFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(Priority_Txt,LblPriorityFilter1.Text)&&StartsWith(DMAIC_Txt,LblDMAICFilter1.Text)),"Priority_Txt",If(gvSortDescending,Ascending,Descending),"Priority_Txt",Ascending,"Benefit",Descending,"PlanCompletion",Ascending))),

SortByColumns(Filter(colCIPortfolio,If(gvMyStuff,Responsible_Txt=Office365Users.MyProfileV2().displayName&&'CI Status'.Value=gvStatus&&IsBlank(Find("0",Concat(Filter(Split(InputSearch.Text,","//or any delimiter.

),!IsBlank(Result)),If(TrimEnds(Result) in CIType_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Title||TrimEnds(Result) in Responsible_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Location_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Area||TrimEnds(Result) in Waste_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Priority_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in DMAIC_Txt,// etc.

"1","0"))))||InitiatedBy_Txt=Office365Users.MyProfileV2().displayName&&

'CI Status'.Value=gvStatus&&IsBlank(Find("0",Concat(Filter(Split(InputSearch.Text,","//or any delimiter.

),!IsBlank(Result)),If(TrimEnds(Result) in CIType_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Title||TrimEnds(Result) in Responsible_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Location_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Area||TrimEnds(Result) in Waste_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in Priority_Txt||TrimEnds(Result) in DMAIC_Txt,// etc.

"1","0")))),

'CI Status'.Value=gvStatus&&IsBlank(Find("0",Concat(Filter(Split(InputSearch.Text,","//or any delimiter.

"1","0")))))),gvSortPriority,If(gvSortDescending,Ascending,Descending),"Priority_Txt",Ascending,"Benefit",Descending,"PlanCompletion",Ascending))

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I only have a few that have a ton of data. Some of it is just simply I haven't had much need...we use PowerApps for more active items and haven't needed to use it much for items inactive (may eventually) but I do have a few that have a ton of data in them (under 2,000 but close to it).

Yes...I did get those backwards...on search and filter. I still use Search anyhow if I don't have over 500 items because it is SO much cleaner and faster. 

One thing that might help is I often use the same screen for several different variations of filtered data but what they select on the screen before is what decides what shows. I have the screen before set a variable that I will "Filter" off of and I put that in the ClearCollect part...not down on the gallery. I also have a few that they can flip between what they see on the screen and it just updates the collection each time they select a different "tab" but it is the same gallery just changing what they see in it. 

I am less experienced in apps with a lot of data. I have close to 50 apps being actively used at this time and I think 3 of them will have over 1,000 rows at any given time....all the rest are closer to the 500 and under range. 

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I do what I can to keep the data in the app as lean as possible - to your statement of filtering off first where possible. If you can follow that one formula you can see there's a lot happening for a fairly simplified view to the user. The collection I have is already filtered from the source.

...and yes, search is way better if it can be used, even if old schooler's say they prefer column header drop-down filtering options. I get a kick out of the thought that is "easier" to click into each column header and choose a filter from a list when I can have a single search box filter on all columns using multiple terms. I just wish this option was delegable.

For the current state of the first app I've developed search is fine and works great, but it is important for some to access the completed items which will only continue to grow well past the Power Apps row limit within the next few months. Given other apps that are being developed will have similar growth and needs for those other items we need to have a good solid model in place that scales.

Seems at this stage no matter the approach it's a bit of work to get a lot of data accessible in Power Apps without killing performance and/or running into delegation issues. 

Thanks for the input.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@TrulsB 
SORTBYCOLUMNS cannot be delegated when a variable is used as the 2nd argument.

However, we can use the WITH function to achieve the desired result with the SWITCH and SORT functions.  The code below can be delegated and will return the first 2,000 records just like SORTBYCOLUMNS would typically do.  You will have to write a SWITCH case for each sortable column name but the effort it takes to do that is minimal.  

With(
    {wFilterRecords: Filter(Serviceoppdrag; StartsWith(Tittel;TextSearchBox1.Text); Active=false)};
    Switch(
        varSortColumn,
        "ColumnName1",
        Sort(wFilterRecords, "ColumnName1", If(SortDescending1;Descending;Ascending));
        "ColumnName2",
        Sort(wFilterRecords, "ColumnName2", If(SortDescending1;Descending;Ascending));
        "ColumnName3",
        Sort(wFilterRecords, "ColumnName3", If(SortDescending1;Descending;Ascending)); 
    )
)

---

Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@mdevaney ,

Very intuitive and yet another Delegation Management Strategy (DMS is the new acronym for workaround . . .) using With().

It is probably also worth linking to my community post to elaborate on what you are doing. Certainly deserves an acceptance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,781)