cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EI

Standard connectors moving to premium

In the most recent licensing guide, there is an appendinx B that states some standard connectors have been moved to premium (Screenshot included below).

However when I look at the connectors list, the below connectors are still categorised as standard.

Is the plan for these connectors to become premium in the future? Or is my understanding of the wording in Appendix B incorrect?

2019-10-14 20_16_31-PowerApps and Flow Licensing Guide Oct 2019.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

You are looking at the connectors list in PowerApps when you are logged in with your current license.  The confusion comes about because existing users get an extension until October,2020 or whenever their license expires whichever is longer.  So if you are an existing user you won't see the change to the connectors until next year. New users after October 1 will see the permium pricing now.  IN the case of SQL there is also an extension for existing apps for 5 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mdevaney
Super User III
Super User III

One of our forum members @Pstork1 replied to a similar post today. He's definitely one of the most knowledgable (and helpful) people on here when it comes to understand licensing. He would likely know the reason why.

Link To Relevant Post:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Governance-and/PowerApps-Pricing/m-p/382186/highlight/...
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

You are looking at the connectors list in PowerApps when you are logged in with your current license.  The confusion comes about because existing users get an extension until October,2020 or whenever their license expires whichever is longer.  So if you are an existing user you won't see the change to the connectors until next year. New users after October 1 will see the permium pricing now.  IN the case of SQL there is also an extension for existing apps for 5 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the clarification @Pstork1, even though it is a disappointing decison by Microsoft. We where using Azure SQL Server and Azure blobs with the Powerapps 365 license, so this move has killed our interest in the platform, the extension doesn't help us unfortunately as we has planned numorous future apps using the SQL Server connector. 

TimLip
Frequent Visitor

I have spent dozens of hours, proably hundreds, building apps (for no charge) for a charity organisation.  I moved to a SQL Server solution a year ago because (a) the Excel backend for data was regulary corrupting (b) Microsoft offered a SQL credit for Not For Profit organisations. 

All was great until yesterday when users started to get messages that they needed to upgrade to Powerapps Plan2.  Looks like the SQL conector has moved to Premium.

I don't have the heart at the moment to tell them they are now going to have to spend money they don't have to continue using the current solution.  I can't recommend going back to Excel for data storage due to the reliability experienced before.

Why are Microsoft giving credits for the SQL backend solution but now to connect?

Will be spending rest of today and no doubt rest of the week to try and find a way to resolve this before I confirm back tot he charity next Tuesday.

you should check out using sharepoint lists. They FAR superior to excel when connecting to powerapps

@TimLip wrote:

I have spent dozens of hours, proably hundreds, building apps (for no charge) for a charity organisation.  I moved to a SQL Server solution a year ago because (a) the Excel backend for data was regulary corrupting (b) Microsoft offered a SQL credit for Not For Profit organisations. 

All was great until yesterday when users started to get messages that they needed to upgrade to Powerapps Plan2.  Looks like the SQL conector has moved to Premium.

I don't have the heart at the moment to tell them they are now going to have to spend money they don't have to continue using the current solution.  I can't recommend going back to Excel for data storage due to the reliability experienced before.

Why are Microsoft giving credits for the SQL backend solution but now to connect?

Will be spending rest of today and no doubt rest of the week to try and find a way to resolve this before I confirm back tot he charity next Tuesday.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am concerned about the volum of data in some of the table already created and of course the referential integrity.  I have a bunch of views and Stored Proceudures as well.

There are some other comments elsewhere that the 5 year grandfathering is not working for all tenants at the moment so that may sort itself out.

Looks like I am at least constrained by the number of apps alredy deployed and the 5 year time bomb anf threat that it will expire eventually - not a great backgroud to continue to use this technology.  

Is there a link to the 5 year extension offer, Pstork1?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (19,107)