cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tal_87

Standardize the data- Is it possible to create a common data model in powerApp- st

Hi

I have an idea for business application which can help me a lot. I'm asking your help so to see if it's possible.

The story goes like this:

I have a small business which provides financial services (audit, bookkeeping etc.) to small and medium businesses. My client mostly uses small bookkeeping system (obviously not SAP or Oracle).  In addition, the verity of the system is pretty big.

I want to help my client to get a better understanding about their financial data and provide them insights. I am doing this by Power BI. I created a power BI dashboard which I import a spreadsheet of all the revenue data (Let's call it "revenue spreadsheet"). The revenue spreadsheet mainly contains the following fields: client ID, client name, invoice id, invoice amount, when the invoice was submitted to the client, when the client should pay the invoice, was the invoice was paid. etc. Since each client uses a different bookkeeping system (the verity is pretty big) each client provides me a different "revenue spreadsheet". The data is the same, but the fields names are different.

In this situation each time I import the "revenue spreadsheet" to my Power BI dashboard I need to modify the fields names (which obviously takes me a lot of time) I need to find a way to standardize the data, in other words I need to create a common data model. I can create a "smart spreadsheet" which modify the fields names to my common data model, but I am thinking about a smarter solution.

My best solution is to create an app which do the following:

• I upload the " revenue spreadsheet" to the app.
  • I map the fields names on the spreadsheet which my client sent me to the fields name on my Power BI dashboard (my common data model).
  • I generate the Power BI app.

I know that I can solve my problem using a python app, but I can’t code but  my tech skills are super strong.

Do you think it's possible using PowerApp or any other low-code solution?

Thank you, Tal

1 REPLY 1

Common Data Service is great for this kind of thing. It has standard fields for common account and contact fields (it's based on the Microsoft Common Data Model). Then when you get your client spreadsheet, you can import your data and map the fields. You can also save data maps so if customers send you the same format every month, you don't have to re-map the data.

https://www.inogic.com/blog/2019/02/import-data-in-cds-common-data-service/

Then you can reference it in power bi or power apps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,059)