cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josh99smith
Frequent Visitor

Start & End Date Field (Won't Update Data Source Unless Both Fields Are Updated)

Greetings..

I have a strange situation I can't seem to figure out.

I have a calendar app that allows staff members to record events on a calendar.

For some strange reason, it wont allow me to edit the end date, unless I edit the start date as well.

If I simply edit the end date, it returns the following error on screen.

"an error occurred on the server"

When I look into the chrome dev tools logs..I see the following error under the network tab.

"Invalid data has been used to update the list item. The field you are trying to update may be read only"

Any ideas what may the reason for this?

I can confirm that my colmn names are accurate and match.

I am also able to create an item with no problem, this only occurs when I try to edit an item.

It feels as if there is some codependency between the start and end date fields, but I cant seem to find the relationship between the two fields. I also must discplose that my Sharepoint list is a calendar list type.

12 REPLIES 12

I have not heard anything new one this. I was not able to update the record with a Patch command either. Can't figure out whats goin on here!

Patch Function also gives the same error. I used your workaround to add a 'millisecond' to the Start Date and that did the trick. Note: Adding Milliseconds instead of Minutes is better since this change is not visible to users.

Hi @esoPowerUser and all,

I have a similar issue. I tried to add 1 second to both 'Start time' and 'End time' [the 2 fields that I need to update to avoid the Network error though they are Optional in SP list and not "Required" fields in Power Apps!]. I don't get the network error now when I just update 1 of them! If I just change the End Time [w/o changing the Start time], things are good [no error, everything gets updated in the App and in SP list]. But if I only update 'Start Time', i don't get any Network error, but the event is gone from the Power Apps "Existing events" view [there is a Calendar that shows all existing events, from which i click 1 event to update]. As I check the SP list, I see the "Start Time" Column value gets blank [the previous value is gone]! 

I have 2 variables: varMeetingStartUpdated and varMeetingEndUpdated that I assign the 'Start Time' and 'End Time' from the Form [that user may have updated] and then pass it to a Patch() later after another "OK to update" button is clicked. The SP list gets updated at that time. Here is the code snippet:

Set(varMeetingStartUpdated,DateValue_Edit.SelectedDate + Time(Value(HourValue_Edit.Selected.Value), Value(MinuteValue_Edit.Selected.Value), 1));
Set(varMeetingEndUpdated,DateValueEnd_Edit.SelectedDate + Time(Value(HourValueEnd_Edit.Selected.Value), Value(MinuteValueEnd_Edit.Selected.Value), 1));

Does anyone have any idea? Driving me nuts! 😞 Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,981)