cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Starting App with a different screen for first run.

Hi,

I am creating an org chart app for my company. The idea is that when it is set up on a SharePoint page the first time, the page admin would enter the Department Manager, and the Title block information. From then on the app should show on the page as a dynamic org chart. Does anyone know how to set up the app so that the selection form only shows up the first time, and then off of a button only from then on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Starting App with a different screen for first run.

@HodgsonIM
Microsoft actually offers an org chart app for free as part of the employee experience starter kit. I just learned about this on the PowerApps community call. If you don’t need to do anything custom this is a great ready-to-use solution. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-employee-experience-starter-kit/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@HodgsonIM 

Where do you store the data about Department Manager and Title Block?  Assuming this information is initially blank you could use some code like this in the OnStart property of your app

If(
    IsBlank(department_manager_field),
    Navigate(your_setup_screen_name, None),
    Navigate(your_everyday_screen_name, None)
)

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HodgsonIM ,

Can you share more details with your needs? Do you want each user to select info only at the first login, then the Apps will display a dynamic chart directly after each login?

If my understanding is correct, I think you need a login table to record each user's login status. In login table, it contains UserName, Department Manager and Title block information columns.

At the start, the app should judge the user's status from login table, if those two column is empty, the app nvaigate to the screen with two textinput boxes to enter the info; if those two columns have been entered, navigate to the chart screen directly, and the char is fiilter from those two columns.

you should first create a login table with three columns mentioned above, set the following formuals to OnStart porperty of App:

If(User().Email in logintable.Username && IsBlank(LookUp(logintable,Username=User().Email).DM) && IsBlank(LookUp(logintable,Username=User().Email).TBL),Navigate(ChartScreen,ScreenTransition.None),Navigate(InfoScreen,ScreenTransition.None))

If these two columns haven't been selected, it will navigate to InfoScreen( two textinputbox, one submit button), please set Onselect property of Button as below:

Patch(logintable,Defaults(logintable),{Username:User().Email,DM:TextInput1.Text,TBI:TextInput2.Text});Navigate(ChartScreen,ScreenTransition.None)

Annotation 2019-10-14 173254.png

If these two columns have been entered, navigate to chart screen, the chart is filtered by these two columns. For lack of information, I won't go on with examples, you can have a try with yourself and check if your issue is fixed. If there are any other issues, please post me.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Sik

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I discovered that web portal apps cannot store collection data so I have had to completely scrap this idea. For a completely different approach. 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@HodgsonIM
Microsoft actually offers an org chart app for free as part of the employee experience starter kit. I just learned about this on the PowerApps community call. If you don’t need to do anything custom this is a great ready-to-use solution. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-employee-experience-starter-kit/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unfortunatley we are doing something very custom to each of our groups. Thanks for sharing this though.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@HodgsonIM 

No problem at all.  Just trying to save you some work if possible Cat Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Announcing

Class of 2020- Season 2

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,723)