cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Static excel data vs dynamic excel data

Hi guys,

i am trying now to experiment a little bit in PowerApps combined with SharePoint.

Right now I'm working on the Service Desk Template. This templates uses an Excel file for retrieving the data.This excel file is located in my OneDrive folder.

If I now share this app to my friend. He just sees the UI without any content. Then I thought to move the file to a public SharePoint site and redirect PowerApps to this excel file. But right now the only data source I can choose from is static excel data.

But this will be contradictory with my functionality. I also implemented a flow that when a item is created on a SharePoint this item will be added to the xls file that is the base for PowerApps. This "Dynamic" version was only working in the case that I stored the xls file on my OneDrive, but then I was the only to see it.

Maybe you get with what I'm struggling right now. Hope that someone can help me 🙂

If you need more information please feel free to ask.

Thank you very much in advance.

Pitfrog

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @timl ,

perfect thank you very much for your help.

Because we are here now 🙂 I have updated all my data sources with SharePoint lists and it works fine. I get no errors. But one thing that is a little bit annoying is that when I press the Play button there will be no Items displayed. I need to navigate to another page and than back to the main page to see the items.

Do you know why? It occurs also when I'm editing the app.

Another question: Right now the "Create a new ticket" is not working properly since I changed to SharePoint. The error states that there is a problem with the data source 😞 It will create the tickets but they are not listed in the "New tickets ribbon" and even if I type in the "Created by" there is no content.  Just the Subject and the description is being updated

BR
Pitfrog

Hi @Anonymous 

Apologies for the delay in replying. In answer to your first question, I'm not exactly sure why you need to navigate away to another page and back again to see the items.

I see that in the Service Desk template, the main list is bound to a collection called TicketsCollect1 and that this collection is populated from a timer. I would try copying this formula to the OnStart property of your app so that it runs when your app starts. This might help.

image.png

I'm not sure about the second issue. Could you screenshot this error? Something elses that's worth noting is that in the origanl Excel version, I couldn't actually find formula that saves the local collection back to the orginal Excel data source.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @timl ,

i figured it out. the refreshng function with the timer is a nice trick to accomplish my needs. 

The other issue was also solved. The application is now running nice and smoothly.

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate that.

BR
Pitfrog

Thanks Pitfrog - glad you figured it out!

Right?? This seems like a SUPER poorly planned piece of the puzzle. It seems VERY likely to me that when users in an organization found out that this application builder was available to them, they would enthusiastically dive in and start building things based on their files in OneDrive. It also seems very likely to me that they wouldn't bother building an application out that they only intended to share with a couple of people, making it probable they would need to migrate this data source to a more org accessible location. VERY frustrating.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (19,622)