cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
golfnutt82
Super User
Super User

Stop Duplicate Item Creation

Hello, I have a canvas app and not using a gallery for a user to submit an out of office request.
One of the controls is a combo box / dropdown that gets its information from a list called Roles; the field is called LU_RoleName.
Once all the fields are populated the user clicks the submit button.
What I would like to do is display a popup form that tells the user that the role they chose was already logged and the Approval Status is not equal to "Processed" otherwise submit the form. 

Is this possible?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt82 

Are you submitting a form containing the combobox?

Hello and thanks for the reply.
Yes, here is the form.

golfnutt82_0-1651857000620.png

golfnutt82_1-1651857141395.png

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt82 

Why not filter the items in your dropdown removing the roles that have already been selected.  So if the CurrentTable has a column for SelectedRoles, Something like 
Filter(Roles, !(LU_RoleName in CurrentTable.SelectedRoles)
and have the label in the card set to "Available roles:".  In my opinion, it is a better user experience to be prevented from making a bad choice than to correct them afterwards.

Hi and good morning.
In the Role Owner Out of Office list there is a field called LU_RoleName that holds the selection made on the form.
The LU_RoleName field on the Role Owner Out of Office form gets all the Role Names from the Roles list, which are many.
When submitted, the form data is entered to the Role Owner Out of Office list but before that happens, I would like to check the list to make sure the Role Name wasn't entered before but if it was then for it to show up in the dropdown. The Approval Status must filter the roles where the Approval Status is Not Equal to "Processed".
Sorry but still kinda green about Power Apps.

I found something that was close to what I was trying to achieve, and I am able to get this to work somewhat, except it doesnt evaluate the Approval Status.Value <> "Pending" piece.
Clicking the submit button always evaluates the Approval Status is empty so its false and shows the Notification.
Anyway, maybe this clears up some confusion.

golfnutt82_0-1652287570275.png

Hello @golfnutt82 ,

I found this post by referring to your recent post 🙂 I made a test case and this seems to work. Can you please try this

If(!IsEmpty(Filter('Role Owner Out of Office', Title = txtRoleName && 'Approval Status'.Value <> "Processed")), Notify("The Out of Office Request was already entered and in process.",NotificationType.Warning);RequestHide(),SubmitForm('New OoO Form'))

Few things i noticed

Lookup only returns the first record 😞 in this scenario i think you would like to look at all the values so  use filter which returns a table

This one is something i always mess up : The IsBlank() function is used to check if a value is Blank. The IsEmpty() function is used to check if a table contains any records, in other words, the IsEmpty() function is used to detect if there is no records within a Table.

Hopefully this fixes it

=========================================================================

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this post answered your question so that it is helpful for people having similar questions. If you found this post helpful smack that Thumbs up button !!! Thanks !!

Awesome, this is driving me crazy.
Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,368)