I have spent nearly 3 weeks working on an app. Everything was working fine until a moment ago. Here is a description of the problem:
When I type code into the function box, I usually use breaks (enter key) to format my code for readability. This has worked fine until just a moment ago (8/9/2018 around 1500 CT). Now, when I hit enter in the function box, it does not enter a break. Instead, a strange phenomenon:
Google Chrome produces a strange blue box around the function box. Microsoft Edge creates a dotted perimeter around the text box. Neither browser inputs a break into the code.
On Chrome, the blue box seems to emphasize the "Format text" tab. I've tried formatting and unformatting the function-text to see if that would reset some sort of switch, but to no avail.
I can use the keyboard (arrows) to select properties and hit enter to select the property. Enter key works fine in the application during preview (F5) (e.g. I can hit enter to affect changes in textboxes, comboboxes, etc. This is to prove that my enter key indeed works and that it works within the PowerApps interface.
I've closed my app and restarted but it continues to glitch.
I tempted to say this is a spontaneous bug, but I'm also thinking I could have done something silly like a Dell laptop keyboard function-lock or that PowerApps has an obscure feature to prevent breaks that I accidentally activated.
It seems that the function box will accept breaks via cut-and-paste. For the interim, I've had to type code into notepad and cut-and-paste it into the formula box--which is very clunky.
Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Solved! Go to Solution.
I just received an official response from a Microsoft support employee after opening a ticket for this major issue, it is BAD news guys:
Thanks for your response.
The issue you are facing with the PowerApps is by design behavior of the product. We totally understand that it would be difficult for you to use SHIFT + ENTER every time when you want to go to the next line. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
But as this is by design there is nothing we can do form our side. But I will definitely post this idea in the Idea’s forum of PowerApps and hope it might get fixed in the future.
Please let us know if you need any further information.
I noticed this error as well just now - worked this morning, now ENTER does not work- and I have tried both in Chrome as well as Edge - experiencing the same issues that you have seen.
And while SHIFT-ENTER DOES work - this to me is NOT an acceptable solution as it just slows down the amount of time things take and is not at all intuitive.
Please fix this quickly as this is a major annoyance.
Well, it's a duct-tape solution until they fix it or announce that it's a feature. It beats copying and pasting from notepad.
I agree... This is not a solution. A workaround yes, but not a solution.
Once this is fixed, I sure hope we get TAB to work properly too. 🙂
Thanks for your feedback, I have made test and the issue is confirmed on my side.
In addition, as an alternative solution, I also agree with @Cheve's thought almost. You could consider take a try to press "Shift+Enter" to achieve your needs.
I would post this issue to my product team, if the issue is solved, I would reply here.
This is one thing of note I find interesting about this glitch:
Before the 'enter' glitch occurred, there was another strange, inconvenient glitch that seems to have been fixed. I never reported it because it didn't affect me. The glitch I'm talking about is this:
Prior to the enter-glitch, when entering in formulas, there would be automatic text that pops up (intellisense or whatever you want to call it) in essentially a listbox. You could correctly hit TAB and it would automatically fill in the formula with the highlighted (top-most by default) intellisense; however, if you use your mouse to click an item on this intellisense menu--say, for example, the third item from the top--the intellisense menu would close up and no syntax would appear on the screen. Ever since the enter-glitch occurred, this mouse-method of clicking the intellisense appears to be working correctly.
I can't say for sure, but It almost seems this is an instance where an attempt to fix an issue may have broken another. For now, I will use the shift-enter method, but I agree with some of the other reponses that this is not a true solution.