Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forstera
Helper III
Helper III

Strange behaviour accessing my list of records

Hello all,

I'm working with Data which are a list imported from an Excel file.

Once imported, I changed some column names because, as they were in french, they had some white spaces or accented letters.

For example, I had a column called 'Nom de famille' I renamed into 'NomFamille'.

Today, I'm trying to work with combox in a PowerApps application but, according to the function I'd like to use, the behavior is not the same... and I'd like to understand.

For example, If I'm trying to use the function Addcolumns with my list, the correct column name is proposed : 

forstera_3-1619615437153.png

But with another function, this is the old column name which is proposed !?! 

forstera_4-1619615531079.png

Is there a way to force the use of the new names ? 

Of course, I can delete my list and reimport the excel file with the correct column names.. but I'd like to understand what's happened here...

thanks to all for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Yes, sorry, I didn't explain my problem very well. In fact, I worked with sharepoint lists.. but these lists were imported from Excel files : 

forstera_0-1619674932799.png

I created a new list with 'standard' columns name and I've no problem. But my first interrogation remains. Why, when using some functions, the old name of my columns were proposed and with other functions that was the new name ? ... 

Thanks very much for your help 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrianS
Super User
Super User

You did not say where or how you changed the name. If you used Rename column, that only changes the name within the app while using that data source. Did you create a collection while using the Rename command? If so then it is only applicable for the collection. Your second example is probably referring back to your original data source - although I can't be sure because there is not enough  context. You are definitely better off changing the Excel file. Keep in mind that Excel files are not a great source of data, even though they are usable. Since you have access to PowerApps you should have access to Sharepoint, which is a much better platform to use than Excel. Although, note that if you change a column name in Sharepoint, it will still refer to the original name you gave the column!

Hello,

Yes, sorry, I didn't explain my problem very well. In fact, I worked with sharepoint lists.. but these lists were imported from Excel files : 

forstera_0-1619674932799.png

I created a new list with 'standard' columns name and I've no problem. But my first interrogation remains. Why, when using some functions, the old name of my columns were proposed and with other functions that was the new name ? ... 

Thanks very much for your help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,716)