cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Sturggling with Joins / PowerApp Design

I saw this post but it seems to only partially answer the question.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Syntax-for-joining-tables/m-p/61425#M25380

==

I have several tables I designed, all linking to a "Main" table.

I also (in an attempt to solve the issue) created a "View" of what I'd like to see in PowerApps.

Also just to say I'm sorry if this is similar to my other post; it is; but I can't seem to make that logic work in this case.

I've made too attempts at creating PowerApps based on my data, as below:

1) Using "Gallery" - "SQL Datasource" - Select the relevant database, and later where relevant columns.

As an example, I selected the "MAIN" table. The Main table has a column (now called) "APPLICATION_ID".
The idea is, to pick from a List of Values, the list being the "Applications" in the Applications Table:

APP_ID APPLICATION                    PROCESSSTEP

1                Body Shop BIW                  Swindon Pressings

2                Paint Shop                              E-Coat Sand

3                 E-Coat Repair                      Abrasive Discs 125mm

4                 Masking  Contrast Roof Abralon Sheets
So I can (sometimes) get the list of applications to appear (eventually I deleted everything and re-added my own "DataCard" and "DropDown control".
Then, everything goes screwy in one or more of the following ways:
 - The data cannot be saved (at all) - e.g. new records can't be created; and existing records cannot be changed.
 - The data is saved, but the MAIN_ID gets stored instead of the APP_ID

- Wierd Effects; possibly related to the above  - as an example, the "Browse" screen shows one value (mostly it appears to the the MAIN_ID), and the "View" screen shows a different ID; and/or they change when the record loads/is selected.
Having spent several hours fiddling around with that and getting no luck or even consistent returns.

I tried:
2) Creating a "VIEW" in SQL, and linking all the ID's together correctly, so that it returns already the correct data.
The view seemed to work; but when you feed that as a data source to the new gallery app; everything is read only. In fact it doesn't even give you either a plus button for new records, nor an edit screen.

Any ideas? It seems to be almost unbeliable hard to do so something so simple; I'd have thought it would just handle all this rubbish for you instead of making it so hard. Especially after building a nice view defining the relationships between the data.

Like the poster in my link, I'm now thinking to just put every field onto one massive table; but that doesn't really work as a design and would result in many NULL columns.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Sturggling with Joins / PowerApp Design

@ShowMeTheAnswer,

It seems that you are making it more difficult than it needs to be.  Please do the following as a test:

Create 2 new screens, choose List and Form screens.

• On the List screen
    • With the Gallery selected in the right hand side of the screen
      • Change the name to Mygallery 
      • Click on the data and a flyout will appear  click on datasource and select '[dbo].[MAIN]'
      • Change the layout to Title and subtitle
      • The gallery should show all of your records.  Don't worry about sorting them at this time.
      • In the first item in the gallery screen, the one with the little pencil in the upper left corner
        • Click on the > icon and change the OnSelect property to EditForm(MyEditForm);Navigate(MyEditScreen, None)
        • Click on the + icon above the gallery,
          • Change the OnSelect property to NewForm(MyEditForm);Navigate(MyEditScreen, None)
  • On the Edit screen 
    • Name the Edit screen: MyEditScreen 
    • With the Edit form selected, on the right side of the screen:
      • Name the edit form: MyEditForm 
      • Click on data and select '[dbo].[MAIN]'
      • Click on the dropdown near the top of the screen on the left side and choose the Item property and make it: Lookup('[dbo].[MAIN]',MAIN_ID=Mygallery.Selected.MAIN_ID)
      • Go back to the right side of the screen and select Fields below Data and a flyout will then appear.
      • Select all of the fields that you want to show on the Edit screen by clicking on the checkboxes, don't worry about the order yet.
      • In the X icon on the top of the screen make the OnSelect Property: Back(None)
      • In the checkmark Icon make the OnSelect property SubmitForm(MyEditForm)
      • With the Edit form selected, use the dropdown on the upper left to find the OnSuccess property and change it from false to Back(None).

Try it and see if it works as expected.  This is basic and doesn't account for any joins yet.  If it works, we can then add the joins. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

The join connects a child record to a parent record. There must be a parent record present before adding a child record. The Id of the parent record is a field on the child record. So you will need two edit forms, one for the parent and one for the child. An example would be client and visits. You would have a galley of clients. You select one and navigate to a new visit form the visit form would have the visit details and a field ClientID =Gallery.Selected.ID
You would view the visits of a client by navigating to a second gallery of Visits filtered by the clientid.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Still struggling with this if anyone can help.

I hit on a new idea; of using a "VIEW" for the BrowseGallery & "Detail", and then switching to DBO.MAIN Table for the Edit.

It is apparently possible:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/decouplingbrowsegalleryfromforms/

But unfortunately doesn't work.

The edit screen is the issue, specifically the Items property.

I tried this:

EditForm (as suggested in the post): result underlined in Red as an error.

Then I thought you could look it up:

If(Text(editItem.MAIN_ID)<>"",LookUp('[dbo].[MAIN]',MAIN_ID=editItem.MAIN_ID),BrowseGallery1.Selected)

e.g. if the "editItem.MAIN_ID" is not null, then lookup the relevant record in DBO MAIN; otherwise use BrowseGallery1.Selected.

(It should cover "New" items as well as "editing existing items").

I can press the edit but it doesn't correctly edit the existing item.

I can try a new record but get a data error.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Don't use forms in PowerApps but create your own.  You will be able to use views but patch changes to the base table.

See here: https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/09/28/powerapps-101-create-your-own-forms/

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you for the reply.

I'll try that if I run out of ideas completely.

Most of what I need is already in my app so I don't want to rebuild it all.

I'd be surprised if you (that way) can edit records in a SQL View so I thought those are read only by their nature..

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

You are correct.  To clarify what I meant is that you can display the views and in the patch statement use the base table(s) as the first argument.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Whats the "Patch statement"? Do you have an example?

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Step 21 of the blog I sent you the link to.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Started the tutorial, not going well:

Set Gallery1’s OnSelect property to

Set(SelectedId, ThisItem.ID)

This gives Red line and:

Incomptaible Type, We can't evaluate your formula because the context variable types are incompatiable with the types of values in other places in my app.

Next step, another Red Line straightaway:

Also set Gallery1’s TemplateFill property to

If(ThisItem.ID = SelectedId , LightBlue, RGBA(0, 0, 0, 0))

If(ThisItem.ID = SelectedId , LightBlue, RGBA(0, 0, 0, 0))

or for me:

If(ThisItem.MAIN_ID = SelectedId , LightBlue, RGBA(0, 0, 0, 0))

Either way the "=" is underlined with "invalid argument type"

I'll keep trying but it wasn't a great start.

I honestly do appreciate your help though because, I am really struggling with this problem (something that MS seems to have made needlessly complex).

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ShowMeTheAnswer,

While I entirely agree with @Meneghino about the advantages of creating your own forms,  If you want to fix the one  you have, the problem is that your Item property for the form is unnecessarily complicated.  The Item property of an Edit form is automatically ignored when the Form Mode is New so the If statement is redundant.  The datasource for the Form must be a real datasource, not a collection and the Item property must reduce to match the datasource.  The items property of the gallery can be a collection or a reshaped table from a datasource but the primary key must be exposed to be referenced from the Form's Item property.  The only time you can use a simple BrowseGallery1.Selected in the Item property of the form is when the Items property for the Gallery is Identical to the datasource of the form.

LookUp('[dbo].[MAIN]',MAIN_ID=BrowseGallery1.Selected.MAIN_ID

Should be sufficient.   

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Re: Struggling with Joins / PowerApp Design

Thanks - I tried it, it doesn't error out.

But whatever I do, it doesn't let me "edit the current record".

I'll try and add some attachments to demonstrate.

There is 3 screens; browse, "view" and "edit".

Browse screen is connected to a MS SQL "View", so I can display data.

So is the "View" screen. It's the "Edit"/"New" screen where there is problems.

Formula currently used on "Edit" button:

EditForm(EditForm1);Navigate(EditScreen1, ScreenTransition.Cover,{editItem:LookUp('[dbo].[MAIN]',MAIN_ID=displayItem.MAIN_ID)})

Then some details from the edit screen/form:

"Edit Form 1":

Datasource: '[dbo].[MAIN]'

Default Mode: FormMode.Edit

"Items" property: LookUp('[dbo].[MAIN]',MAIN_ID=BrowseGallery1.Selected.MAIN_ID)

Results: Pressing edit takes you to the edit screen which just has one field in. You can set it, and save it, but it doesn't affect the record you were on, which remains with the same value. E.g. it's not saved anywhere.

I'm also in the middle of re-building it per the other poster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,688)