cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Submit data form using powerapps to sharepoint list, but user does not have access to sharepoint list

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time developing a PowerApps. I currently have a SharePoint site and list that has highly sensitive data for my company. I created a PowerApps that allows users to be able to submit a form that will write the data to the SharePoint list. However, I am having trouble because some of my users will not have permission to view/edit the SharePoint site where the data is written to. Is there any work around to this? I was thinking of potentially making another SharePoint site with an interim list for the data and when an entry is created a flow will run to transfer the data to my main list and delete the record after the transfer. 

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Yes, using a "staging" list might be a good way to go - as long as that doesn't pose any other legal issues with the handling of sensitive data.  

You could have the app write to the staging list and then kick off a flow one of several ways:

1.  using the "When an item is added to a sharepoint list" trigger

2.  at a specific time or times

3.  when the user hits the save/submit button 

A lot would depend on the timing you need - does the update need to take place immediately or is batched OK?  If immediate, option 1 might be an excellent way to handle it.  It removes the update of the sensitive list completely from the app, but will make the update occur right after the record is saved.  If batch is OK, then a time-based flow might be adequate.

Bottom line, if your users do not have access to the ultimate destination list, you will have to use a disconnected process in which a separate process with rights to both the staging and final list posts the records.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Yes, using a "staging" list might be a good way to go - as long as that doesn't pose any other legal issues with the handling of sensitive data.  

You could have the app write to the staging list and then kick off a flow one of several ways:

1.  using the "When an item is added to a sharepoint list" trigger

2.  at a specific time or times

3.  when the user hits the save/submit button 

A lot would depend on the timing you need - does the update need to take place immediately or is batched OK?  If immediate, option 1 might be an excellent way to handle it.  It removes the update of the sensitive list completely from the app, but will make the update occur right after the record is saved.  If batch is OK, then a time-based flow might be adequate.

Bottom line, if your users do not have access to the ultimate destination list, you will have to use a disconnected process in which a separate process with rights to both the staging and final list posts the records.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for your response, I have implemented this method and it has worked for me for the most part. However, I am having trouble getting one of my combo boxes to write to my sharepoint list. The combo box is called requestor and I am using "Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:RequestorSearch.SearchText})" to search and select the user. However, the person is not getting written to my people picker column in sharepoint list, when I submit my form. Any ideas on how to work this out?

Thanks again!

Highlighted

I have not had to use Office365Users.SearchUser with my people picker fields. Here's an example of one.  Contact Name is a People Picker field in my SP list.  Add new Contact is an edit form.  I can "search" automatically in the ComboBox by entering the name of my contact, then select it from the list generated.  When I do my SubmitForm (attached to my Save button), the correct individual is being saved in SP.  

PP1.jpg

If this doesn't help you figure it out, please include some screen shots/further detail on how and where you are using the Office365Users.SearchUser and I'll try to help further if I can.

LRVinNC

------------------
Highlighted

I used this function, since the default choices did not work for me. However, I just cannot get it to write the output to the people picker column in SharePoint, when I hit submit form. I have attached some screenshots.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,420)