cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
laquino
Level: Powered On

Submit form not working

Hello i am creating my first app, its a task manager for my company, it is connected to an excel workbook as a database (i know SQL is better but my company won't allow it) when I submit a new task from my form called Tareas it will display an error on the OnSelect category for the submit function Submit(form) and it will not update the excel table. How can i solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Apps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
Power Apps Staff

Re: Submit form not working

Thank you for getting the screenshot. Yes this error means you are not able to write back to Excel as it is locked for editing. All instances of the workbook need to be closed for you to write back. 

Excel is excellent for prototyping, but I would not suggest using it in production. As a freeform spreadsheet, it does not maintain data types for each column. And as you see here, it is not able to write when the file is still open. I would suggest migrating your data to a more appropriate location in this context.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Power Apps Staff

Hi @laquino,

Can you hover over the error message when reporting errors? From your image though, it is likely not submitting since the Excel workbook is open in another tab. 

Let me know if that is the case.

Brian

laquino

here it is

Power Apps Staff

Thank you for getting the screenshot. Yes this error means you are not able to write back to Excel as it is locked for editing. All instances of the workbook need to be closed for you to write back. 

Excel is excellent for prototyping, but I would not suggest using it in production. As a freeform spreadsheet, it does not maintain data types for each column. And as you see here, it is not able to write when the file is still open. I would suggest migrating your data to a more appropriate location in this context.

View solution in original post

laquino

thanks! it worked, yes i dont like excel for this either, what would you recommed that it is not a payed option?

Power Apps Staff

Business data is valuable and sensitive. Power Apps aside, it is important to locate your data in an appropriate location for the business's sake. You will get back security, structure, maintainability, and more with anything that is more than a spreadsheet. Nowadays I use Excel more as a collaboration space for non-sensitive data and for quick data operations and fill-down.

You can look to Common Data Service, SQL, SharePoint as the Microsoft offerings, but there are many others that you can use as well. It would be worthwhile for you to open a discussion with your organization on what fits the business needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,922)