cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry1567
Level: Powered On

SubmitForm(EditForm) changes all columns in a SP list, not what only EditForm's selected fields

Hi there,

Scenario: Currently I have a EditForm that has a subset of fields connected to a SP list, when I submit this form on powerapps, it updates all the fields (clears some other fields that the EditForm does not have access to) which is breaks some functionality of my the which relies on some of the fields being reset.

I currently have a form linked to a SP list called proposals, it has proposal detail columns (e.g. proposal name, location etc) as well as some other fields that a EditForm is connected to it. There are some other columns such as project manager which is not handled by the EditForm. However when click on a button to SubmitForm(EditForm), it updates the corresponding columns but resets the project manager column which I don't want to happen.

Is this the expected behaviour of SubmitForm, shouldn't SubmitForm only modify the fields shown in the EditForm not all the fields of the SP list? This doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: SubmitForm(EditForm) changes all columns in a SP list, not what only EditForm's selected fields

If you select the form and click on Edit Fields in the property pane does the "project manager" field show up there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SubmitForm(EditForm) changes all columns in a SP list, not what only EditForm's selected fields

Hi @Jerry1567 ,

Could you describe more clearly about "There are some other columns such as project manager which is not handled by the EditForm"?

Does it means that project manager belongs to other list?

Do you means that you only want to update one list and display the data of project manager?

If so, you just need to delete the formula of project manager's data card's UpDate. If this field sets nothing to UpDate property, it will not be updated.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Jerry1567
Level: Powered On

Hi @v-yutliu-msft and @Jeff_Thorpe ,

Thank you for your replies. 

"If you select the form and click on Edit Fields in the property pane does the "project manager" field show up there?"
Yes, it does show up but I have not selected.

Regarding the DataCard, there isn't an associated card in the EditForm as I haven't added it to the fields, so it shouldn't be updating it? i.e. wiping the field for product manager

So i have a "Proposals" Sharepoint List.
A subset of its columns is [ Proposal Name, Project Start Date, Project Description, Product Manager]
The EditForm has fields for [Proposal Name, Project Start Date, Project Description]

On a separate screen I have a dropdown box that has an onchange with a patch, Patch(Proposals, ID=current_prop_id, {product_manager: "a product manager});. So it only worries about [Product Manager]

So the mechanisms to change a specific Proposal list record is on two separate screens.
One screen is for the editting of the proposal main details.

The other form is for selecting the product manager.

So the sequence of events which resets the product manager.
1.  A product manager is inserted into the Proposals record.
2. The record now shows the product manager in the product manager column on the sharepoint list side.
2. Navigate to the EditForm - Data Source connected to Proposals, Item: LookUp(Proposals, ID=current_prop_id)
3. I change a field in EditForm, click the submit button.
4. The newly changed field is updated, but the product manager is now blank.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,766)