cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SubmitForm not saving text field to sharepoint list

I have a form that has a text field for a 4 digit code (ex T123) that is not being saved to the sharepoint list through SubmitForm.  I confirmed the text input format is set to "Text" and not "Number", and I checked the SP list column type.  It's set to "Single line of text".  What am I missing/doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: SubmitForm not saving text field to sharepoint list

@lumberjacklurch 

Ah...there we have it - you changed the datasource of the form.

The forms don't like this so much and sometimes it's a chore to correct it.

Here are some steps to take.  I'd test along the way to see if that step corrected the issue.

1) Remove the DataCard from the Form and then add it back in.

2) I'd say refresh the datasource, but I am guessing this has already been done - if not directly, then at least when you've re-opened the app to edit. But, it is worth mentioning at this point.

3) Delete the entire form...then immediately do an Undo.  Many times the forms will "refresh" themselves at that point with the proper information.

4) Remove the Datasource and then add it back in.  The Form should rebound from that as well.

5) Start over with a new form...

Pretty sure one of those steps will give you some results.  My guess is #1 might do the trick in your case.

See if that helps some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

@lumberjacklurch 

Have you customized the datacard that has the text field in it?

If so, if you don't need the customizations, you might remove that card and then add that field back into your form.

If you do need the customizations, then you should look at the Update property of the datacard and see if there is an issue there.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
sharonsumner
Level: Powered On

Is it just the one field that is not writing back or are there others?

Randy,

Thanks for your reply.  The column in the list used to be a number column, but I changed it to Single line of text.  When I went to the Update property for the datacard, it had this:

Value(DatacardTextValue.text)

I thought, "hmm, it shouldn't need the 'Value' part anymore", and I took it out:

DatacardTextValue.text

Submitted the form again, and it still doesn't work.

Here's where it gets stranger, I tried submitting the form after this where the text input did NOT have alphabetic characters in it (eg 101, not T101), and it wrote the value to the list.  I really don't understand.  The list column is set to text; the text input is set to text; the datacard is set to update the text input text.  Yet, it won't write the value in the column when there is text in it.  This doesn't make sense.  I'm sure I'm missing something (it'll probably something ridiculously simple).

Sharon,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, it is the only part of the form that is not writing.

Super User
Super User

@lumberjacklurch 

Ah...there we have it - you changed the datasource of the form.

The forms don't like this so much and sometimes it's a chore to correct it.

Here are some steps to take.  I'd test along the way to see if that step corrected the issue.

1) Remove the DataCard from the Form and then add it back in.

2) I'd say refresh the datasource, but I am guessing this has already been done - if not directly, then at least when you've re-opened the app to edit. But, it is worth mentioning at this point.

3) Delete the entire form...then immediately do an Undo.  Many times the forms will "refresh" themselves at that point with the proper information.

4) Remove the Datasource and then add it back in.  The Form should rebound from that as well.

5) Start over with a new form...

Pretty sure one of those steps will give you some results.  My guess is #1 might do the trick in your case.

See if that helps some.

View solution in original post

Thanks Randy! 

I removed the old datacard, refreshed the datasource, and re-added it.  Now it works like it should!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,222)