Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FelipeCaru
Advocate V
Advocate V

Submitform(form) vs Patch

Hello all,

I have a question regarding submitForm and Patch. Is there any substancial difference between the two (performance, for example)? If my app has data in an Excel sheet, about 500 lines or so, in which from the 10 columns (more or less), only 4 or 5 are edited by users, would it be better to use one over the other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FelipeCaru 

I believe the answer is - indirectly.

In general the submit form function will do very similar actions as your Patch.  The biggest difference is, a Form has a lot of overhead.  It is built to handle many different variations of data and field types.  Due to this, there is more processing that has to occur for all of the conditions to happen.  For the most part, it is not noticeable, but technically, there is a big difference between a function that handles many variations as opposed to a Patch that is very specific.

Your situation may vary.  Choosing one over the other is a choice of function in many cases as opposed to performance.  Since the Form handles so many aspects for you - if you need those aspects to be handled rather than designing formulas for them, then use the Form.  If you have very specific data and it's not a hassle to do, then use a Patch.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FelipeCaru 

I believe the answer is - indirectly.

In general the submit form function will do very similar actions as your Patch.  The biggest difference is, a Form has a lot of overhead.  It is built to handle many different variations of data and field types.  Due to this, there is more processing that has to occur for all of the conditions to happen.  For the most part, it is not noticeable, but technically, there is a big difference between a function that handles many variations as opposed to a Patch that is very specific.

Your situation may vary.  Choosing one over the other is a choice of function in many cases as opposed to performance.  Since the Form handles so many aspects for you - if you need those aspects to be handled rather than designing formulas for them, then use the Form.  If you have very specific data and it's not a hassle to do, then use a Patch.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes 

Thank you very much for the answer. I think I'll keep to form since it is what works for me and since I have different fields and whatnot (:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,812)