Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connor_Taylor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Submitting a form for a new record, Item value

Hi all,

What should the value for 'Item" be for the form I'm submitting if I want to create a new record? (not edit a current record)

It's currently blank, so I get the error 'a value must be provided for item' and I imagine this is meaning the actual 'item' value.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Connor_Taylor,

The form mode is usually set by an EditForm(Form1) or NewForm(Form1) function in a button or icon’s OnSelecr property. The Item property for an Edit form is usually Gallery1.Selected. it is ignored when the form mode is New. If you are only using your form for submitting new data, set it’s default mode to New in the right hand column with the  form selected (use the breadcrumbs on the bottom of the screen) rather than Edit. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Connor_Taylor,

The form mode is usually set by an EditForm(Form1) or NewForm(Form1) function in a button or icon’s OnSelecr property. The Item property for an Edit form is usually Gallery1.Selected. it is ignored when the form mode is New. If you are only using your form for submitting new data, set it’s default mode to New in the right hand column with the  form selected (use the breadcrumbs on the bottom of the screen) rather than Edit. 

View solution in original post

Thank you, your explanation was very helpful.
But it seems I had already done all this and still get the error 'The request operation is invalid. Server Response: a value must be provided for item'.

Any thoughts on what this could be then?

The form is set to 'New' and is called by a NewForm(form1) and every value in the form has a text input assigned to it.

What platform are you using, excel, sharepoint, etc. If it's sharepoint, are any columns Choice or lookup types?

Data is connecting to a SQL server

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,342)