cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikkiel
Frequent Visitor

Submitting a variable amount of identical forms

Hello!

We're currently exploring powerapps and we're trying some different methods to create the app we need.

In essence, the operation we want to do is make a report and add a number of items to each report. The number of items can vary, sometimes it's 10, some other time it's 25. Each item has its own fields that need to be filled, but the item fundamentally stays the same.

Currently, we have a working example by using a gallery and placing all the items underneath each other and eventually using patch to create the report and add all the items to it with one button. The problem with this is that when we have a large number of items the patch gets very slow.

However, this time we want to see if making a form for each item and saving it to the CDS in-between items would shave some time off the process, but I'm not sure how I would be able to call the form X amount of times dynamically. My first guess would be to use a list or array, count the items and use the index but I don't think powerapps works that way.

We have a template for each report that contains the items that need to be filled in.

For example:

A 'Standard Safety' report template would have items for hardhats, safety shoes, harnesses, gloves, etc, and as such the forms would have to read the items contained within and make a form for each item dynamically.

How would I go about looping through items like this?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jlindstrom
Super User
Super User

assuming your checklist items are in a gallery, you could do something like this

https://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.com/2020/03/power-apps-get-next-item-from-gallery.html

this is also where I've used a model driven app. model driven apps have the native ability to navigate between records in a view.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jlindstrom
Super User
Super User

assuming your checklist items are in a gallery, you could do something like this

https://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.com/2020/03/power-apps-get-next-item-from-gallery.html

this is also where I've used a model driven app. model driven apps have the native ability to navigate between records in a view.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (19,959)