Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NigelP
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Substitute Function Confusion

Hi

Looking through the responses for the Substitute function.  It looks as if you have subsititute function in a "On Select" of a Button you must use Set(varfirstSubstitution,Substitute(<original string>,<string to replace>,<replacement string>)) and varfirstSubstitution holds the updated string.

If you use the substitute function elsewhere the Substitute(<original string>,<string to replace>,<replacement string>) and <original string > has been updated.

Am I correct ?

Thanks

Nigel

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

hi @NigelP the original string both cases should not change. if you have a variable "Some string" when you substitute the string whether onselect or in a label the variable will remain, substitute give you a new output. this is my understanding,

have la look at this

Set(_String,"This is a string") and assign the variable to a label

rubin_boer_0-1613668894655.png

Substitute the string  Set(_SubstitudedString, Substitute(_String,"string","what")) and assing the variable to anopther label

the add both variable to a single label, you can see the _String variable remains unchanged.

Is you rexpereince different?

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@NigelP 

Substitute is a Function that returns a substituted string.  It does not alter the original string.

If you use substitute on a non-behavioral property (for example, the Text property of a label), it will use the results of the function.

Example - a Label Text property:  Substitute("My Dog is Brown", "Dog", "Horse") will display My Horse is Brown in the label.

If you use Substitute in a behavioral action (an OnSelect for example), then this implies you are going to do something with it.

Example:   Set(myVar,  Substitute("My Dog is Brown", "Dog", "Horse") )  will give you a variable with  My Horse is Brown in it.

Also worth noting, substitute can be chained (as with almost all functions in PowerApps).  So the following in a Label Text property:

Substitute(Substitute("My Dog is Brown", "Dog", "Horse"), "Brown", "White")

would display My Horse is White

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

2 REPLIES 2
rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

hi @NigelP the original string both cases should not change. if you have a variable "Some string" when you substitute the string whether onselect or in a label the variable will remain, substitute give you a new output. this is my understanding,

have la look at this

Set(_String,"This is a string") and assign the variable to a label

rubin_boer_0-1613668894655.png

Substitute the string  Set(_SubstitudedString, Substitute(_String,"string","what")) and assing the variable to anopther label

the add both variable to a single label, you can see the _String variable remains unchanged.

Is you rexpereince different?

Hope this helps

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@NigelP 

Substitute is a Function that returns a substituted string.  It does not alter the original string.

If you use substitute on a non-behavioral property (for example, the Text property of a label), it will use the results of the function.

Example - a Label Text property:  Substitute("My Dog is Brown", "Dog", "Horse") will display My Horse is Brown in the label.

If you use Substitute in a behavioral action (an OnSelect for example), then this implies you are going to do something with it.

Example:   Set(myVar,  Substitute("My Dog is Brown", "Dog", "Horse") )  will give you a variable with  My Horse is Brown in it.

Also worth noting, substitute can be chained (as with almost all functions in PowerApps).  So the following in a Label Text property:

Substitute(Substitute("My Dog is Brown", "Dog", "Horse"), "Brown", "White")

would display My Horse is White

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,940)