cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Sum SharePoint list, avoid delegation

Hello,

I’m looking for creative ways to get around the lack of delegation for the Sum feature in SharePoint.

All I want to do is sum all the values in a single column in SharePoint, and display the result on a summary page in a PowerApp.

The size of my list goes beyond the 2000 row limit so of course, delegation is an issue.

Any suggestions? Use a flow? Power BI? Another way to manipulate the data? Convince Microsoft to add sum to the list of delegable features for SharePoint?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @07GT ,

I have done two blogs that may be useful to you.

The first using the With() Statement may solve your issue if you can get the items to be summed under 2,000 records with a delegable filter.

The second on Delegation generally for two things - explaining why Delegation exists may answer your second point and the Collection options may also allow you do to what you want.

Happy to assist further once you work out if any of this is helpful to you.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz  - Thanks for the tip on the 2000 to 4000 collection, seems like it’d be a good solution, as my list will likely top out around 4000 (hopefully just under). Will give it a try and let you know how it goes. 

Thanks @07GT ,

There is a different solution to the "under 4,000" on each blog.

I will wait to hear from you.

Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @07GT ,

There are ways to avoid the delegation limits by calling flow and using Sharepoint API's

Here are 2 approaches -

https://youtu.be/yXvDj60-3YQ

https://youtu.be/qsIn0mytC_8 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

@07GT ,

A couple of paths for you to follow here. I try to keep mine within Power Apps if possible, but this has to suit your requirements.

The With() statement is no more than setting a Variable within the statement, but the result (not the input) needs to be under your Delegation limit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,116)