cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

Sum Total is Blank if a Label is Blank

Hi All,

This is giving me a Blank value if either one of the Labels is Blank, any ideas? I thought the Coalesce would fix it.

Text(
Coalesce(Sum(Label8_137.Text),0)+Coalesce(Sum(Label8_153.Text),0)
"[$-en-US]#,##0.0"
)

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

So not sure what the issue was in the Total Sum Label.

I had to add the Coalesce at the individual item labels to fix the issue

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

Also tried:

Text(
Sum(Coalesce(Value(Label8_138.Text),0),Coalesce(Value(Label8_154.Text),0))
"[$-en-US]#,##0.0"
)

Colby
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hmm I'm not able to reproduce that. I created two labels (one set to 30 and the other set to 20) and set your logic as the third label text. I then remove my number values from one of the labels and I still get a result. I also set the label to Blank() and that didn't change the outcome.

Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

I have something weird going on @Colby 

Screenshot_19.png

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Coalesce evaluates whether strings are null, not blank.  You have to use an isBlank() to check for Blank labels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

@Pstork1  I would have to use If statements to change to 0s if I use IsBlank() right?

did a quick check on this:

The Coalesce function evaluates its arguments in order and returns the first value that isn't blank or an empty string. Use this function to replace a blank value or empty string with a different value but leave non-blank and non-empty string values unchanged.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-isblank-isempty

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Sorry, my bad.  Caught again by the discrepancy between Power Apps and Power Automate. Here's the description of Coalesce in Power Automate.  Notice it specifies that it only works on nulls, not empty strings.  For Power Apps you are correct.

"Return the first non-null value from one or more parameters. Empty strings, empty arrays, and empty objects are not null."

I did try to reproduce your results, but it works fine for me.  Are the labels involved part of a data table or Gallery?  Of just two labels?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Colby
Advocate I
Advocate I

So from my tests I can't reproduce this issue. I set my second label to Blank(), " " and also didn't add a value, and it worked. Is your label pulling data from a data source?

Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

@Colby  Yes, both of the labels have a filtered sum from source. 1st Label there is rows to sum, while there is nothing for second Label. 

I would not want to have to go in all my labels and do an additional If(IsBlank() to change to 0s), curious what the issue is on my end.

Jooorge
Frequent Visitor

So not sure what the issue was in the Total Sum Label.

I had to add the Coalesce at the individual item labels to fix the issue

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,257)