cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinav
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sync SQL table into CDS - Can do?

Subject pretty much explains it.  I have an on-premesis sql table of about 2500 items.  I want to push it up to CDS, so I can get to it quicker in powerapps.  Can do?  I also want it to stay sync'd.  One-way.  The on-prem will always be the table getting new data.  No need to change it in CDS.  

What think you?

3 REPLIES 3
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @martinav,

Yes, you can add data from SQL to an entity in Common Data Service for Apps by using Power Query. You can also filter, transform, and combine data before you load it into a new or existing entity. For detailed steps and information, please have a look at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-cds-newentity-pq

I suggest that you load the data to a new entity. If you use Power Query to add data to an existing entity, all data in that entity will be overwritten.

For the future data syncing, you could use a Flow like below to achieve this. 

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Are there any limitations to the CDS entity (table)?  Like database size in bytes, or number of records?

Plus, what might I expect for my complex lookups as a performance improvement?  

Is this a good way to do this?

martinav
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to refresh this a bit.  I do need to know if there are performance gains expected using CDS over an on-prem gateway SQL table(s).  It has been a bit of a chore to do an initial dump of tables into CDS.  Getting errors.  Thats not my quesiton here, but is it even worth my effort.  I have many complex calls to SQL tables throught my on-prem gateway that is making my app quite slow.  Plus, I'm the only one using it.  There will be 10+ using it when it goes production.  Please advise on this, or other ways to improve performance.  

Things I have done to improve speed:

- Create views from SQL tables, to reduce the number of nested loop filters, and complex and/or search criteria.

- Redesigned interface to pull in data to a reduced set of results.

- Limited search results, requesting user to tighten their search

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,505)