cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathancoates
Level: Powered On

Syncing Play and Edit Versions of App

Hi There, 

I'm currently having a problem when I go to play my app, it shows an old version of my application. When I press the play in edit, it works, but when I distribute a link it is a previous version with layers that have been deleted. How do I sync these and has anyone else had a similar problem? 

Many thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Paul_C
Microsoft

Re: Syncing Play and Edit Versions of App

It is by design that the link you distribute points to the last published version. So, since you haven't published the new version it is not being shown. If you want the link to redirect to the new version, you will have to publish it.

Are you trying to do some sort of preview with just a few insider users to test that everything works before broadly publishing? We don't have a built-in way of doing that directly that I'm aware of. I guess a workaround would be to Save As the app and publish that new app -- sharing it with just the few target users. So, the new app copy would be a preview which you could later delete. Not too elegant, but it might solve the problem.

That being said, having a preview/insider sort of thing for PowerApps could be helpful. So if you're looking for something like that, feel free to share an idea in the Ideas forum.

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

@nathancoates 

Yes, unfortunately I have.  There are two ways to fix this.

1.  Export the app and import as a new app.

2.  Wait it out until the app syncs (could be awhile).

Still, I feel like this should be reported as some sort of bug.  No idea where to do that though.

Highlighted
pstork

I know this is kind of obvious, but have you Published the new version?  Saving the new version after sharing it will result in exactly the behavior that you describe.  The version used by people you have shared the app with is always the Published version, not the most recently saved version.

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Hi @nathancoates,

I have test on my side, but I can't reproduce your issue if I made some modification , save and publish the app, it still run the latest version in browser studio and iOS client.

If it takes a while to synchronize, that might be the reason for the server delay, but it won't take long.

If you are unable to synchronize for a long time and this happens in multiple apps, please feedback your test steps and details, I will submit a ticket if I confirm it.

Sik

nathancoates

Hi Sik, 

Thanks for your response. I am yet to publish the application. It's just when I share the link to view, it syncs with an older version , but looks fine in edit mode. I have deleted all previous versions of the application and deleted any old layers that I do not require. However, when one of my team clicks on Play or Views the app (outside of edit), it shows the old version. I have waited a number of days to see if it syncs but have had no luck. 

Thanks for your support, please let me know if you need any further information.

Many thanks, 

Nathan 

nathancoates

Hi Psork - sorry I should have clarified, but this is prior to publishing the app. Just when viewing outside of edit, it shows an old version of the application. I have deleted all old versions and removed the layers I don't want, but it persists. 

Microsoft Paul_C
Microsoft

It is by design that the link you distribute points to the last published version. So, since you haven't published the new version it is not being shown. If you want the link to redirect to the new version, you will have to publish it.

Are you trying to do some sort of preview with just a few insider users to test that everything works before broadly publishing? We don't have a built-in way of doing that directly that I'm aware of. I guess a workaround would be to Save As the app and publish that new app -- sharing it with just the few target users. So, the new app copy would be a preview which you could later delete. Not too elegant, but it might solve the problem.

That being said, having a preview/insider sort of thing for PowerApps could be helpful. So if you're looking for something like that, feel free to share an idea in the Ideas forum.

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,005)