cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mickell2030
Advocate I
Advocate I

Syntax for joining tables

I am having a heck of a time trying to understand the syntax of powerapps.

I have a background in SQL and I am very comfortable with it. This is not SQL :(.

I have an SQL database. My SQL database was built correctly, with the min amount of repeating data. It seems like Powerapps wants me to have 1 giant table with everything on it instead of multiple tables that are related and joined.

Here is what I need to understand:

Example - I have 3 tables with information I need from each in a gallery.

Table 1 - UPC_Details

Columns (UID) UPC_ID, Brand_ID, Cost, Created_Date

Table 2 - Brand_ID

Coulmns (need to join to UPC_Details Brand_ID) (UID) Brand_ID, Brand_Name, Company_Contact_ID...

Table 3 - UPC_received

Columns (UID) UPC_Received_ID, (need to join to table UPC_Details so users know what item they are looking at when the UPC is scanned) UPC_ID, Cases_received, Date_received...

I am sure you can see where this is going.

I need my users to be able to see specific data that I normally would use a join to reference. I do not know if I should be building a collection onvisble, or something else entire. Nor do I undertand the syntax Powerapps uses. I am extremely dissapointed with the resources for Powerapps, as I do not feel these questions are well answered and I am sure I am not the only user with this problem.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me out with this.

15 REPLIES 15
Delid4ve
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I hardly ever use lookup.
First(Filter(Table,Expression)).Column
Or
Last(Filter(Table,Expression)).Column
You can also add a sortbycolumns in there if you want say the first date column etc
It’s faster than lookup aswell
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,  I'm working on a similar issue.  I am trying to join two data sources together using the card number in both tables to show which loyalty program name that card number is associated to.  I have been using filter and the lookup function but I'm still having no luck.  I am trying to display the field "loyaltyprogramname" in a label box.

Below are the two tables.

RetailLoyaltycards: Card Number

RetailLoyaltyCardTiers: Card Number , Loyalty Program Name 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used the expression to populate the Data Table and I am successful in doing it for 2 tables ( 1 Main Table and 1 Look u Table). There is one more column in main table which i want to lookup in another secondary table.

How to do that? Pls guide.

Ben-M

You can create a View in SQL and use that view in PowerApps as a data source just like you use SQL Tables.

@CarlosFigueira Same scenario in my case, I want 2 field from 2 MSD365 F&O Table. 

Where I add this formula? Can I add this on form Item property? Or It's Just only for DataTable control.

Thanks in advance!

Bansari Pandya.

abhishja
Frequent Visitor

hi,

How about Right Table in Join?  I am able use Left Table in Join. However I am using Addcolumns(filter (Table1, XXX = "XXX"), "ZZZ", Lookup(Table2, ID= Table1[@ID]).

Regards,

Abhishek

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,459)