cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate I
Advocate I

Syntax for joining tables

I am having a heck of a time trying to understand the syntax of powerapps.

I have a background in SQL and I am very comfortable with it. This is not SQL :(.

I have an SQL database. My SQL database was built correctly, with the min amount of repeating data. It seems like Powerapps wants me to have 1 giant table with everything on it instead of multiple tables that are related and joined.

Here is what I need to understand:

Example - I have 3 tables with information I need from each in a gallery.

Table 1 - UPC_Details

Columns (UID) UPC_ID, Brand_ID, Cost, Created_Date

Table 2 - Brand_ID

Coulmns (need to join to UPC_Details Brand_ID) (UID) Brand_ID, Brand_Name, Company_Contact_ID...

Table 3 - UPC_received

Columns (UID) UPC_Received_ID, (need to join to table UPC_Details so users know what item they are looking at when the UPC is scanned) UPC_ID, Cases_received, Date_received...

I am sure you can see where this is going.

I need my users to be able to see specific data that I normally would use a join to reference. I do not know if I should be building a collection onvisble, or something else entire. Nor do I undertand the syntax Powerapps uses. I am extremely dissapointed with the resources for Powerapps, as I do not feel these questions are well answered and I am sure I am not the only user with this problem.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me out with this.

14 REPLIES 14

I hardly ever use lookup.
First(Filter(Table,Expression)).Column
Or
Last(Filter(Table,Expression)).Column
You can also add a sortbycolumns in there if you want say the first date column etc
It’s faster than lookup aswell
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,  I'm working on a similar issue.  I am trying to join two data sources together using the card number in both tables to show which loyalty program name that card number is associated to.  I have been using filter and the lookup function but I'm still having no luck.  I am trying to display the field "loyaltyprogramname" in a label box.

Below are the two tables.

RetailLoyaltycards: Card Number

RetailLoyaltyCardTiers: Card Number , Loyalty Program Name 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have used the expression to populate the Data Table and I am successful in doing it for 2 tables ( 1 Main Table and 1 Look u Table). There is one more column in main table which i want to lookup in another secondary table.

How to do that? Pls guide.

You can create a View in SQL and use that view in PowerApps as a data source just like you use SQL Tables.

@CarlosFigueira Same scenario in my case, I want 2 field from 2 MSD365 F&O Table. 

Where I add this formula? Can I add this on form Item property? Or It's Just only for DataTable control.

Thanks in advance!

Bansari Pandya.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (20,723)