cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Syntax for using rounding inside a 'select' action for rounding

Can someone help with syntax, please. 

I want to round the significant figures out a calculated SharePoint column to 0. As in this post, the SharePoint returns a text value and I want to convert the dynamic field item()['DaysLeft'] inside a 'select' action. 

How do I make the following expression work?

div(float(int(mul(div(variables('Sum'),5),10))),10)

I tried substituting  variables('Sum') with item()['DaysLeft] but no luck.
Is there a more elegant solution?

Any help appreciated. Thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please share a screenshot about your flow's configuration?

Could you please share a bit more about the result the item()?['DaysLeft'] formula returned? Is the DaysLeft column a Calculated type column?

Further, could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

I agree with @jan-dolejsi's thought within the thread that you provided. The float function would convert a string version for a floating-point number to an actual floating point number.

In addition,  int() and float() only accept string arguments.

On your side, please take a try with the following formula:

div(int(mul(div(item()?['DaysLeft'],5),10)),10)         /* <-- I assume that item()?['DaysLeft'] return a number value */

If the item()?['DaysLeft'] formula return a text string value, please take a try with the following formula:

div(int(mul(div(float(item()?['DaysLeft']),5),10)),10)  

Or you could consider take a try with @jan-dolejsi's thought within the thread that you mentioned.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kris,

Thanks for your reply. I still get the error 'The template language function 'div' expects its first parameter to be an integer or a decimal number. The provided value is of type 'String'' with both your suggestions. The column 'DaysLeft' is a calculated column in Sharepoint to subtract the due date with the actual date. 

Below a screenshot of the simplified Flow:

Capture.PNG

Thanks for helping. 

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on the error message that you provided, it seems to tell that the result the item()?['DaysLeft'] formula returned is a string value, but the div() function needs its first argument to be an integer value or decimal value.

Please consider take a try with the following formula within your "Select" action:

div(int(mul(div(float(item()?['DaysLeft']),5),10)),10)  

then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-xida-msft

Thanks for the quick response. Here is the error message:

'InvalidTemplate. The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '{ "DaysLeft": "@item()['DaysLeft']", "DaysLeftRounded": "@div(int(mul(div(float(item()?['DaysLeft']),5),10)),10) " }' failed: 'The template language function 'int' was invoked with a parameter that is not valid. The value cannot be converted to the target type.'

Let me know what else can help troubleshooting. Thanks.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-xida-msft

Thanks for the quick response. Here is the error message:

'InvalidTemplate. The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '{ "DaysLeft": "@item()['DaysLeft']", "DaysLeftRounded": "@div(int(mul(div(float(item()?['DaysLeft']),5),10)),10) " }' failed: 'The template language function 'int' was invoked with a parameter that is not valid. The value cannot be converted to the target type.'

Let me know what else can help troubleshooting. Thanks.  

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please share a bit more about the "Select" action within your app (expand the "Select" action)?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned.

In addition, you could also take a try with the solution @jan-dolejsi  mentioned within the thread you provided, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kris, 

Same issue with the solution proposed by @jan-dolejsi, when introducing the dynamic field "item()?['DaysLeft']" - the expression works well with a number. See error message below:

InvalidTemplate. The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '{ "DaysLeft": "@item()['DaysLeft']", "DaysLeftRounded": "@div(int(first(split(string(mul(item()?['DaysLeft'], 10.0)),'.'))), 10.0)" }' failed: 'The template language function 'mul' expects its first parameter to be an integer or a decimal number. The provided value is of type 'String'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions#mul for usage details.'.

It appears that the calculated column in SP is seen as a string but the formula inside the 'select' action cannot convert it. 

The flow in use (with the formula above in bold):

Capture.PNG

The SharePoint column 'DaysLeft' is an operation between two dates that returns a number with no decimals displayed:

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-xida-msft

Did the information above help? Thanks. 

An easy way to drop a decimal is to subtract the modulo of 1 (i.e. the remainder after dividing by 1).

The latest error you posted is caused by "mul()" choking on the "DaysLeft" string; easily fixed with "float()".

Putting that together with your rounding strategy, I think this could work:

div(
  sub(
    mul(float(item()?['DaysLeft']), 10),
    mod(mul(float(item()?['DaysLeft']), 10), 1)
  ),
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,639)