Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJK
Helper III
Helper III

Tab Index not working

Hi All,

I have given tab index 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,.... so on to all my input controls on the screen. However when I run the screen in preview mode the tab order is top to bottom and left to right irrespective of the tab index. Any idea why this is happening?

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@MJK 

The TabIndex does not work in that way.  PowerApps really only recommends one of two values for TabIndex - either 0 or -1.

0 means it will participate as a tab stop control.  -1 means it will not stop via tab.

PowerApps tabs from top to bottom, left to right in a Z pattern.  The X and Y properties of the controls will determine when they are selected by tab.

If you have a control in the top left with a Y property of 2 and a control to the left of it with a Y property of 1, then PowerApps will tab from the second control to the first because it is going from top down and the second control is more "top" then the first.

You can read more about this and other options for grouping controls with the Experimental Enhanced Group Control.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Actually tabbing the controls doesn't even do the "Z" pattern. it seems to randomly jump around to controls in on particular order at all.

@dave-jorgensen1 

If your Tab Indexes are all 0 and there are no groupings of controls on the screen, it will "Z" through it.

If any of the above is not the case, it will seem random.

If you've enabled the container control option in the settings then this will change the behavior of the tab as well (if you use a container)

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,289)