Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morall
Microsoft
Microsoft

Table with a lookup column is showing up empty

I have two entities - OneEngEvent Interviewers & Users

In one of the columns for Event Interviewers, there is a look up in the Users table.

I'm trying to create a dropdown Filter that will show me everyone in the Users table (and then the next step is to create a filter)

As a test, I created two variables:

ClearCollect(userstbl1, 'OneEng Event_Interviewers'.Interviewer);
ClearCollect(userstbl2, Users);

userstbl2 works as expected

but not userstbl1 (returns empty)

Dropdown Items = 'OneEng Event_Interviewers'.Interviewer

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 3.35.22 PM.png

It seems that its finding the Users table, but no data is popping up. 

It sees all of the columns

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 3.44.05 PM.png

But the data is empty

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 3.43.53 PM.png

I have access to the User entity and go in and look at all of the records, but for some reason my app isn't pulling them. 

Any thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @morall ,

Could you tell me the relationship between drop down1 and drop down2?

Firstly, let me tell you why you met that problem:

since Interviewer is a lookup column , so if you directly use "'OneEng Event_Interviewers'.Interviewer" in a drop down's Items, you will get a table nested table, which is not supported to display directly.

Do you mean that OneEngEvent Interviewers & Users relationship is N:1 and Interviewer is the lookup field?
If so, you could display related OneEngEvent Interviewers based on the selected User or

display related User  based on the selected OneEngEvent Interviewers.

So please tell me the drop down1 and drop down2's relationship.

Then I will understand how you need to filter.

If drop down1 display User entity, drop down display related items of 'OneEng Event_Interviewers' based on the selected user, you could set like this:

drop down1's Items:

Users

drop down2's Items:

Filter('OneEng Event_Interviewers',Interviewer.Name=drop down1.Selected.Name)

Then drop down1 will display all items of user entity.

Drop down2 will display related items in 'OneEng Event_Interviewers' based on the selected user in drop down1.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BenFetters
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have an idea that might help, on the properties panel, when you've selected the drop down, what does it say the "Value" is set to? Right under items (see below)? Could you also try something like: Choices('OneEng Event_Interviewers'.Interviewer) when creating the collection?

2020-07-14_14-57-14.jpg

If this solved the problem for you, feel free to hit "Accept as Solution" so others can find the answer easier. 🙂

Kind regards,

Ben Fetters
Power Apps/Power Automate Developer
www.sovereignsp.com
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @morall ,

Could you tell me the relationship between drop down1 and drop down2?

Firstly, let me tell you why you met that problem:

since Interviewer is a lookup column , so if you directly use "'OneEng Event_Interviewers'.Interviewer" in a drop down's Items, you will get a table nested table, which is not supported to display directly.

Do you mean that OneEngEvent Interviewers & Users relationship is N:1 and Interviewer is the lookup field?
If so, you could display related OneEngEvent Interviewers based on the selected User or

display related User  based on the selected OneEngEvent Interviewers.

So please tell me the drop down1 and drop down2's relationship.

Then I will understand how you need to filter.

If drop down1 display User entity, drop down display related items of 'OneEng Event_Interviewers' based on the selected user, you could set like this:

drop down1's Items:

Users

drop down2's Items:

Filter('OneEng Event_Interviewers',Interviewer.Name=drop down1.Selected.Name)

Then drop down1 will display all items of user entity.

Drop down2 will display related items in 'OneEng Event_Interviewers' based on the selected user in drop down1.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

There are two entities:

Users

OneEng Event_Interviewers

In the OneEng Event_Interviewers, there is a column called "Interviewers" that is a lookup in the Users entity. 

I have a dropdown that is trying to access the Names of the Interviewers through 'OneEng Event_Interviewers.Interviewers' and then setting the value to Name on the right hand side

Hi @morall ,

Have you tried my solution?
I think it works for your issue.

Best regards,

Hey v-yutliu-msft, 

This is great. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (86,300)