cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanbrogan
Advocate V
Advocate V

Test an app on mobile device without publishing

As we know there are a number of features within powerapps that do not work in a browser, saving to cache for one example.

Is there any way I can test an update to an app on a mobile device without publishing the update? I just want to test the updates on an iPad before I release the updates to everyone.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@seanbrogan 

Unfortunately no, you can't test an unpublished app on the mobile device.

The only way that we do that is to save the app, then save the app with another name, publish it, test it on the phone.  If issues need to be addressed, open the ORIGINAL app, make changes, save, then save with another name, publish, test.  Rinse. Repeat.

Quite annoying I know, but this is the only method we've been able to use.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @seanbrogan ,

You would have to publish the App in order to test it on mobile device.

One option would be to create a hidden screen with the new functionality which only the admin (person testing the App on mobile) has access to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@seanbrogan 

Unfortunately no, you can't test an unpublished app on the mobile device.

The only way that we do that is to save the app, then save the app with another name, publish it, test it on the phone.  If issues need to be addressed, open the ORIGINAL app, make changes, save, then save with another name, publish, test.  Rinse. Repeat.

Quite annoying I know, but this is the only method we've been able to use.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,848)