cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JakeLepak
Level: Powered On

Text Inputs

So I am using a slight variation of the Meeting Capture Template in PowerApps, and I was wondering if there was anyway to fill out text inputs of a selected meeting a few days in advance, leave the app, return a few days later to the selected meeting, and have the text inputs retain the same text that I entered in a few days prior.

Sorry if it is a little vague. I would be willing to further clarify if anybody can help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Text Inputs

Hi @JakeLepak,

I agree with @Rebetcha's thought almost, and I think your thought is proper.

You could consider take a try to save the text that you filled within the selected meeting into a Collection using Collect function firstly, then use the SaveData function to store the Collection into your local device. 

When you open your selected meeting later, using the LoadData function to load the Collection into your app.

Please take a try with the following workaround:

Set the OnSelect property of a Button control to following formula (Save Collection into a Temporary data😞

Collect(
    TemporaryData,
     {
      Field1:Field1Value,
      Field2:Field2Value,
     }
);
SaveData(TemporaryData,"TempData")

Note: The Filed1, Field2, ... represents the Text fields (whose value you want to save as a temporary data) within your selected meeting.

Set the OnStart property of the first screen of your app to following formula:

ClearCollect(TemporaryData,{});
LoadData(TemporaryData,"TempData",true)

Then when you open the selected meeting later, you could reference the temporary data within the Text fields of your selected meeting from the TemporaryData collection.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/build-offline-apps-with-new-powerapps-capabilities/

More details about the SaveData and LoadData function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

SaveData and LoadData function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Rebetcha
Level 10

You need to create some place to temporarily store your data and make a reference to the meeting. Data stored in the app in collections and variables and such are erased as soon as you exit the app.
JakeLepak

Ok I will try that! I figured that Collect and SaveData would be the functions that I would use, but do you have any idea what functions I would use to reference that temporary data? 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JakeLepak,

I agree with @Rebetcha's thought almost, and I think your thought is proper.

You could consider take a try to save the text that you filled within the selected meeting into a Collection using Collect function firstly, then use the SaveData function to store the Collection into your local device. 

When you open your selected meeting later, using the LoadData function to load the Collection into your app.

Please take a try with the following workaround:

Set the OnSelect property of a Button control to following formula (Save Collection into a Temporary data😞

Collect(
    TemporaryData,
     {
      Field1:Field1Value,
      Field2:Field2Value,
     }
);
SaveData(TemporaryData,"TempData")

Note: The Filed1, Field2, ... represents the Text fields (whose value you want to save as a temporary data) within your selected meeting.

Set the OnStart property of the first screen of your app to following formula:

ClearCollect(TemporaryData,{});

Then when you open the selected meeting later, you could reference the temporary data within the Text fields of your selected meeting from the TemporaryData collection.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/build-offline-apps-with-new-powerapps-capabilities/

More details about the SaveData and LoadData function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

SaveData and LoadData function

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

JakeLepak

Hi @v-xida-msft,

I tired using the coding that you used, but when I tried to open the meeting again, it said

had an error message that said

"There was a problem loading your data. Data canot be loaded when running in a web browser"

Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Rebetcha
Level 10

Awesome! Learned something myself. 🙂
Rebetcha
Level 10

It is not mentioned in the support article, but according to some comments of people on the article these functions do not work using the browser. They probably only work in the Mobile or Windows app.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JakeLepak,

Just an update -- Currently, the SaveData function and LoadData fucntion only works within PowerApps Mobile App of Mobile Device (iOS device, Android device and Windows phone).

Please check and see the following thread for more details:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-can-I-use-SaveData-to-temporarily-hold-co...

Please take a try to run your app within PowerApps Mobile App of Mobile Device, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,016)