cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Textbox DisplayMode = View makes Left Padding to Work incorrectly

When textbox DisplayMode options is set to DisplayMode.View it makes left padding to work incorrectly and ignore the values specified.

Textbox is set to multiline.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've passed this information to the owner of that control. I agree that it seems wrong to have the design properties not being honored in the view mode (especially since the top/bottom padding is working correctly on that mode). It should be fixed in an upcoming release.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

If you mean the textinput control, then I have reproduced your issue successfully. I have reported your issue to the pg and will update here if I got further information later.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-monli-msft that is exactly it.

Hi @Anonymous,

My colleague just told me below information:

DisplayMode – Values can be Edit, View, or Disabled. Configures whether the control allows user input (Edit), only displays data (View) or is disabled (Disabled). In View mode, input controls such as Text inputDrop downDate Picker will only display the text value and will not render any interactive elements or decorations. This makes them suitable to be displayed in Forms or as readable output.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/properties-core/

It seems that this is expected behavior.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-monli-msft,

If that is correct, I think it is a bad assumption... So imagine I really want a field that the user can only read and not edit...  But in this use case I wanted the text to be rendered with some spacing in the beginning (because the default is touching the border and looks really bad). What is the reason for the padding not work? Is something really basic and working on alot of other tools.

Hope that you can agree and this can be reviewed in a near future because it is pratically the same as changing the font style or size... same concept 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mona,

I have the same issue, and I have to say that having zero padding in an input field that is set to "View" mode is not desirable.  It completely detracts from the typical layout of the rest of the form inputs.

Very often we adjust the mode of a certain input field depending on the value of another field.  This means that while the user is completing a form, the field could be editable or not, depedending on a certain value.  Typically, when the field is in View mode, we populate it with a value so the user can see what the value is, and that they cannot edit it.

It seems like a large amount of effort to make the entire input field visible only when you want to edit it, and replace it with a Label when you don't, or even worse, pad the value with a space and try remember to trim it before updating the source - which are things we are having to do to work around this.

Kind regards,

R

Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @v-monli-msft

This is the same issue I wrote to you about a week ago:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/BUG-Text-input-left-padding-not-working-in-view-...

It would be more useful to address the issue rather than to ignore it.

Thank you.

I've passed this information to the owner of that control. I agree that it seems wrong to have the design properties not being honored in the view mode (especially since the top/bottom padding is working correctly on that mode). It should be fixed in an upcoming release.

View solution in original post

I agree.  We'll be fixing this immediately.

Thanks for bringing this up

- not filipk@microsoft.com, please private message me if you can't share with everyone
Marc
Regular Visitor

Hi FilipK, 

In 2017 you wrote "We'll be fixing this immediately." Seems the issue still remains. Any news on this?

Many thanks, Marc

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,224)