cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samerhajjar
Frequent Visitor

The requested operation is invalid. Server Response: ClientsData failed

Hello,

I'm building a time logging app using Excel Online as data source. I have a simple table named ClientsData with two column: Agency and Client, using this table I have two comboboxes, one with the agencies list and the other with a clients list depending on the agency chosen.

The reason I'm using combobox instead of dropdown is because I need to select a default value. Another note is that my data definitely has less than 2000 rows, even less than 500.

My problem is, whenever I change the agency, the list of clients changes correctly, but I keep getting an error in the clients combobox that says:

The requested operation is invalid. Server Response: ClientsData failed: Expression "Agency eq null" is not supported. clientRequestId: ... serviceRequestId: ...

I'm getting this error multiple times in the same test run with different clientRequestId

For reference here are the codes in my comboboxes:

Agency:

Distinct(ClientsData,Agency)

Client:

Distinct(Filter(ClientsData,Agency=AgencyBox_2.Selected.Result),Client)

Any help to remove this error is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@samerhajjar 

Your logic for using a combobox over a dropdown is not relevant.  You can set the default on a Dropdown as well.  The only criteria needed for determining if you should use a dropdown or a combobox is if you need searching capabilities or multi-select capabilities.   The dropdown is much easier for most to work with, so I would always ask yourself those two questions when deciding.

As for the actual error you are receiving, it appears that it is trying to get values based on a null value.  Is it that you don't have anything selected in the Agency control?

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@samerhajjar 

Your logic for using a combobox over a dropdown is not relevant.  You can set the default on a Dropdown as well.  The only criteria needed for determining if you should use a dropdown or a combobox is if you need searching capabilities or multi-select capabilities.   The dropdown is much easier for most to work with, so I would always ask yourself those two questions when deciding.

As for the actual error you are receiving, it appears that it is trying to get values based on a null value.  Is it that you don't have anything selected in the Agency control?

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Hello Randy sorry for bringing this old issue up but I am having this exact issue and I don't understand how to get rid of the error.

I am using dropdown controls and I am cascading with three drop downs. I am pulling from an excel file for all dropdowns and my first one is just bringing the Distinct values and then the other two are filtering certain columns in that table. Below is my second drop down which is filtered by the first.

Distinct(Filter(ElectricalHierarchy,System = drpSystem.Selected.Result),Substation)

I am not creating this from a Canvas App but modifying a Microsoft List I already created to give me more control on the input of the List items. Any help on resolving this error would be greatly appreciated.

Dorinda
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@RandyHayes  I have the same scenario with cascading dropdowns from an excel datasource and getting the same error. Any solutions?

riojedac

Hey, same issue here but a work-around with the coalesce function it worked for me.

It's not a beautiful solution because you must to hard-code the default options for your cascading combo boxes.

For example, if your know 'Agency1' will always work as a default option for your first combo box then you could add the coalesce function in the logical comparison in the second one:

Distinct(Filter(ClientsData,Agency=Coalesce(AgencyBox_2.Selected.Result,"Agency1")),Client)

I hope this helps 🙂

I am also facing the exact same issue as you guys. But the dropdowns still work.

hasancahillgrp_0-1654181662090.png

I was wondering is there a way to get rid of the errors without having to remove the excel integration? That's because I have one drop down and depending it the next drop down shows it's options.

hasancahillgrp_1-1654181752179.png

hasancahillgrp_3-1654181883944.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,597)