Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

The requested operation is invalid. SharePoint Form

Hello,

So i have tried to make a form with cascading dropdowns based on sharepoint list.

Lets say we have Category: Item=

Choices('Tasks'.Category)

And custom Subcategory: Item=

Distinct(Filter(Ref_Cat,Title = DataCardValue2.Selected.Value),Subcategory)

Which works perfectly. It shows result from reference tbale where the subcategories are placed with category. Only one little issue is here and this is that the form can not be saved as its missing the original Subcategory column value. (Resulting in err. The requested operation is invalid. Server Response: A value must be provided for item)

I am sure its doable I have only forgot how and now I am completely lost.

Any Help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bettigru
Level: Power Up

Re: The requested operation is invalid. SharePoint Form

Fixed it

Can't use datacardkey - use datacardvalue:

Patch (LL_Favorites,Defaults(LL_Favorites); {Issue: DataCardValue3.Text})

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Super User
Super User

I don't exactly follow but I think what you are looking for is Update property of your card. Each data card has an update property that is tied back to the data source. Fixing it will probably fix your error if my guess is correct.

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I'll try 🙂 @Shanescows

More specifications.

I have 2 list on SharePoint Online. 1. is live list called "tasks". Second list is only reference table for Category and Subcategory.
Eg.:

Category Subcategory

1                      2

1                      3

1                      4

1                      5

etc.

I have made custom powerapps form for the live list, where I made a new dropdown under card corresponding to Subcategory. Where I placed the function from 1st comment. (even If I change the default one it produce the same error)

Hope it is more clear.

Still not working as its operates with new item 😕

Filter(Choices('Tasks'.Subcategory),(Distinct(Filter(CCS_Ref_Cat,Title = DataCardValue2.Selected.Value),Ref_Subcategory_Col).Result))

So I thought it would be working but this produce table record insted of Boolean...

Or maybe a better question - How do I make Lookup Cascading Dropdown able to be saved within SharePoint List? No tutorials I have found does not include that.

Super User
Super User

Still not completely following. I stink. 🙂 

Can you watch this video on PowerApps Cascading Dropdowns and then tell me what you want to do based on this video? Is it just to save what I show in Job Titile (Dropdown2) back to SharePoint? So you would Patch(SharePointDataSource,YourRecord,Dropdown2.Selected.Value)

Is that the answer? 

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shanescows thank you for your reply.

That way of making cascading dropdown is clear to me. And also its how I made it.

The issue is that my source is SharePoint online form. When I am making custom dropdown menu dependant on Reference table (in sharepoint its list) when There is Attribute A and Attribute B. Parallely by your scenario its Attribute A = Department Attribute B = Job Title. I load "Department" from the target list meanwhile the Job Title is loaded from Reference table, secondary list. So we are aspeaking about 2 data sources.

The dependant dropdown is able to lookup all possible selections based on "Department". But as I am selecting it, I am physically selecting choices from data source 2. Which means that when I am triing to save all the columns selections inside data source 1, I am unable to save it, because the field in data source 1 is not selected.

Department - Default choices from Data Source 1

Job Title - LookUped selections from Data Source 2, originally there is also Job Title in Data Source 1 with predefined same values as it is in the table in Data Source 2.

Other fields from source 1

So my Issue is to transform the selection from Data Source 2 inside Data Source 1.

I hope it is more clear now.

Super User
Super User

Cool. You are moving in the right direction. So now watch this video. PowerApps SharePoint LookUp Columns 

I think that is what you want here. I recreate the look up column functionality without using those evil columns. But it does pull from two lists and put everything back together. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Shanescows,

So I have done everything and there is another issue 🙂 Viz printscreen.

Until I change the items in the dropdown everything works, autoredirection to sharepoint is done, Item is saved. After lookup is in place, this occurs. And its occurs after second click on save button as for the first one it does nothing.

Super User
Super User

What does your Update property for the datacard that is broke look like?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats the default one DataCardValue3.SelectedDate

sett.jpgSettings of DataCard

Super User
Super User

That makes no sense. 😞 

What I would do is create another similar list and see if going through the process that you have been causes the same issue. My guess is somewhere in trying to figure things out you got some wires crossed. Walking through it again my be the best next step. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,100)