cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerwood
Helper II
Helper II

The value '-' cannot be converted to a number

I just started getting this error message when trying to add a negative number in a few fields in powerapps. 

"the value '-' cannot be converted to a number"

I first noticed it in a text input control, so I played around with changing the format from text to number and vice versa. But that did not fix the problem. I then checked if I was getting a similar error on another screen where I know I've inputted negative numbers before. On this second screen, the input is a datacardvalue and the format is set to number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerwood,

Do you want to input negative number within the Text Input control?

Could you please share a bit more about your need?

Not sure how you will reference to this negative number from the TextInput, however, if you want to reference to it as a number value, you could directly use the Value() function to format it as a number format.

vqiaqimsft_0-1655348684648.png

Check if it is what you want to achieve.

Best Regards,
Qi

View solution in original post

Tqphan87
Advocate I
Advocate I

I started getting the same error pop-up out of nowhere as well even though I'm still able to save the negative value with no issue. Searching through the forums, I went and turned off the experimental feature "formula-level error management" and the error message no longer appears. I still see it listed in the "Runtime" section of my App Checker though but that was how it was before.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerwood,

Do you want to input negative number within the Text Input control?

Could you please share a bit more about your need?

Not sure how you will reference to this negative number from the TextInput, however, if you want to reference to it as a number value, you could directly use the Value() function to format it as a number format.

vqiaqimsft_0-1655348684648.png

Check if it is what you want to achieve.

Best Regards,
Qi
Tqphan87
Advocate I
Advocate I

I started getting the same error pop-up out of nowhere as well even though I'm still able to save the negative value with no issue. Searching through the forums, I went and turned off the experimental feature "formula-level error management" and the error message no longer appears. I still see it listed in the "Runtime" section of my App Checker though but that was how it was before.

@v-qiaqi-msft 

It is a card in a form:

powerwood_0-1656373517457.png

The format for this is set to "Number". The default is set to Parent.Default. Once I removed the default value and set it to nothing, then the error message did not appear.

@Tqphan87 , I had a similar experience as you did. When I submitted the form the error message did not impact the successful submission of the form and its data. The record was created and the value was a negative value. I also unchecked the "formula-level error management" experimental feature and it allowed for the negative value to be typed without an error.

Thank you both.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,489)