cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things that bug me

I'm putting this under General Questions and not Ideas because I don't actually know if it's genuinely a problem, or if it's just me ignorantly using something I don't understand.

So consider this a pet peeve list and perhaps (hopefully) some of you more learned individuals can show me a better way of doing things...

Firstly, let me say for the record - I LOVE PowerApps, and I LOVE the O365 suite in it's entirety.  I think the product teams are doing and awesome job, and I love my job because of them.  I'm not the type to use something that's awesome, and then whine about the button colour being wrong.

Of late however, I've been using the web studio exclusively as it's much faster than the latest studio release (already posted on this, this isn't a pet peeve).  But because of this, I've started noticing a lot more about the web studio that bugs me, without having actual webstudio abnormal terminations to post;

1. Undo/Redo either works differently to the way I understand it or not at all.  Especially if you Escape from a formula, undo, redo swear, reload, "Argh! AuthoSave!"
  2. Autosave with a bad undo function really makes life painful sometimes.  I have to save multiple copies to local just to ensure I don't save mistakes over good formulas.  It also means I have about a thousand versions to trawl through to roll back..."Yay!  Autosave!.....oh wait...Argh!  Autosave!" (that said, Autosave HAS saved my butt on a few abnormal terminations)
  3. I use indent - a lot.  *reminder - post idea for commenting in formulas*.  What really annoys me is when I select a bunch of lines to indent and the auto-complete/function suggester thingy dropdown is still there, which means when I hit TAB to indent, instead it prefixes (if I'm lucky) or replaces all my lines with whatever the **bleep** auto-complete thingy has as it's first item.  Generally in panic I hit escape - Enter Undo/Redo "Argh! Autosave!" - and so on - you get the picture.
  4. Speaking of pictures, Camera control on web and studio behave differently (once saves images in base64 the other as what seems to be an encoded blob reference....what's with that?)  Just to be difficult, Camera upload function then throws a blob saved to somewhere in MS into the mix.  Anyway, I digress;

As I said though, there are hundreds of things I love about this technology, so this hardly counts as a rant.  But these are some of the things that have me reaching for the nicorettes....

Kind regards,

R

2 REPLIES 2
MelindaK
Level 8

Re: Things that bug me

@Anonymous

I would like to back up problem number 3 you mentioned - indentation! 

I am struggling with the same issues when I'm writing longer formulas with indentation, whenever I highlight a row to indent, the auto-complete comes in and ruins the entire formula!

I might say that issue is worthy to be mentioned as an idea, or something to be considered by the product team.

MelindaK
Super User
Super User

Re: Things that bug me

Considering the PowerApps team work round the clock to improve this fantastic suite of products, I thought this deserved an update:

1. Undo/Redo either works differently to the way I understand it or not at all.  Especially if you Escape from a formula, undo, redo swear, reload, "Argh! AuthoSave!" - Much better, Thankyou!
  2. Autosave with a bad undo function really makes life painful sometimes.  I have to save multiple copies to local just to ensure I don't save mistakes over good formulas.  It also means I have about a thousand versions to trawl through to roll back..."Yay!  Autosave!.....oh wait...Argh!  Autosave!" (that said, Autosave HAS saved my butt on a few abnormal terminations) Much better, Thankyou!
  3. I use indent - a lot.  *reminder - post idea for commenting in formulas*.  What really annoys me is when I select a bunch of lines to indent and the auto-complete/function suggester thingy dropdown is still there, which means when I hit TAB to indent, instead it prefixes (if I'm lucky) or replaces all my lines with whatever the **bleep** auto-complete thingy has as it's first item.  Generally in panic I hit escape - Enter Undo/Redo "Argh! Autosave!" - and so on - you get the picture.
    1. Kudos to the CTRL+} and CTRL +{ shortcut 
    2. Still haven't posted my idea for allowing for code comments somewhere
  4. Speaking of pictures, Camera control on web and studio behave differently (once saves images in base64 the other as what seems to be an encoded blob reference....what's with that?)  Just to be difficult, Camera upload function then throws a blob saved to somewhere in MS into the mix.  Anyway, I digress; - still there, but I stopped using the desktop studio years ago.  Also, flow "UriToBinary()" function makes up for it by allowing us to save PowerApps base64 images straight into SharePoint (without having to use Azure functions or Blobs).  Recalling them in your app however - different story 🙂

Cheers,

RT

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,520)