cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

ThisItem.'Link to item' returns incorrectly formatted URL

Encountering a problem with using ThisItem.'Link to item' in a power app that's connected to a Sharepoint document libarary. The goal here is to use Launch(ThisItem.'Link to item') on a button OnSelect in order to open a PDF asset stored in the document library. The issue is that ThisItem.'Link to item' seems to return a URL (the filname part itself) that has incorrect character encoding, which leads to a page not found. Here's a couple examples:

 

Correct file name 

/Dog%20&%20Cat_Supplies_Safe%20Paw_SAFE%20PAW%20_%20Sell%20Sheet%20_%205%25%20Off%20-%20Purchase%20Pallet,%20Additional%205%25%20Off_02.28.2019_PA.pdf

 

What ThisItem.'Link to item' returns

/Dog%20%26%20Cat_Supplies_Safe%20Paw_SAFE%20PAW%20_%20Sell%20Sheet%20_%205%2525%20Off%20-%20Purchase%20Pallet,%20Additional%205%2525%20Off_02.28.2019_PA.pdf

 

In this case, "&" is getting encoded in ThisItem.'Link to item' to "%26", and an extra "25" appears after "5%25".

 

And yet, in the following example, ThisItem.'Link to item' correctly returns the following file name, leaving the "&" unencoded:

/Dog_Food%20&%20Treats_Natural%20Balance_NATURAL%20BALANCE%20_%20Sell%20Sheet%20_%20Rack%20Display_01.31.2019_FL.pdf

 

What gives here? I have no idea right now if this is a Sharepoint issue or Powerapps issue. Any guidance here would be most welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @leizhaoyn,

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The '&' character would not be converted into "%26" within the URL. The screenshot as below:1.JPG

As an alternative solution, please consider take a try to replace the "%26" and "%25" with nature character "&" and "%", and remove the extra '25' within the URL result the ThisItem.'Link to item' returned. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "%25", "%"), "25", "")

Set the OnSelect property of the "Launch" button to following:

Launch(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "%25", "%"), "25", ""))

then check if the issue is solved.

If the issue still exists, I think there is something issue with the name format of your PDF file. Please consider take a try to rename your PDF file with a proper name (e.g. 'Dog-Cat_Supplies_Safe-Paw_SAFE-PAW... .pdf', replace space with '-').

 

More details about Substitute function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Substitute function

 

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @leizhaoyn,

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The '&' character would not be converted into "%26" within the URL. The screenshot as below:1.JPG

As an alternative solution, please consider take a try to replace the "%26" and "%25" with nature character "&" and "%", and remove the extra '25' within the URL result the ThisItem.'Link to item' returned. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "%25", "%"), "25", "")

Set the OnSelect property of the "Launch" button to following:

Launch(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "%25", "%"), "25", ""))

then check if the issue is solved.

If the issue still exists, I think there is something issue with the name format of your PDF file. Please consider take a try to rename your PDF file with a proper name (e.g. 'Dog-Cat_Supplies_Safe-Paw_SAFE-PAW... .pdf', replace space with '-').

 

More details about Substitute function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Substitute function

 

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Kris, thanks for the pointers on this. I've gotten the following function to produce the correct URLs:

Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "2525", "25")

However, when placing this within a Launch function in the OnSelect property of the object like so:

Launch(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "2525", "25"))

Clicking the object doesn't do anything - yet there are no errors or warnings indicated. However, if I create a label with the first Substitute function, then go and copy/paste the resulting link in a new browser tab, it takes me to the correct asset. Any idea why the Launch function doesn't appear to be working properly here?

Thanks for your help! I believe this is now working. This was the formula that did it for me:

Launch(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.'Link to item',"%26","&"), "2525", "25"))

Thanks for your help pointing out how to use Subsitute in this context.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,546)